Thread: Wiring Diagram Help / Check

79 Vette Guest

Question Wiring Diagram Help / Check

I'm setting up my first Nitrous kit and would like to get some feedback on the attached wiring diagram to achieve this. I think my configuration is fairly typical, so hopefully it will help out others.

Here's some background:
    I'm running a '79 Corvette with a bored & stroked (383 ci) SBC
    Transmission is a 5-spd Tremec TKO-600
    The engine produces ~400 HP and 465 lbs torque at the crank (without Nitrous)

Here's a list of my Nitrous & Ignition components:
    • NOS Cheater System set-up for a 100 shot (P/N 02001)
    • MSD Distributor & HEI Coil (P/N 8365)
    • MSD 6AL Digital Ignition (P/N 6425)
    • MSD Multi Retard Digital Controller (P/N 8975)
    • MSD Digital RPM Window Switch (P/N 8969)
    • MSD HD 30A Relays (P/N 8961)
    • Jeg's Fuel Pressure Safety Switch FPSS (P/N 11205)
    • Holley Blue Max Electric Fuel Pump

I have the RPM Window Switch to engage at 3,000 RPM and the FPSS set for 5-6 PSI flow rate.

I've attached a PDF copy of my wiring diagram for reference.

One thing I'm not sure of is what lines will draw any significant amps, what amperage fuses to use and where to place them.

Hopefully this diagram makes sense to those who are looking at it.

Any insights and/or feedback from folks who are experienced in this space would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

msdtech1955 Guest

looks good...only thing missing is the option to leave w.o.t on the two step.

79 Vette Guest

Not sure what this means. I think I got the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) part but what do you mean "on the two step"? Is this a setting for the Orange wire on the Digital Retard Box (Retard #2)??

Also, any recommendation on using the Start Retard option on the Digital Retard box and (if so) what setting (2-10*)?

Lastly, any advice on what gauge wires to use for the majority of the wiring (other than those noted as Heavy)?

Thanks a ton!

msdtech1955 Guest

ok, lets just say :

when your lauching the car at the starting line.....
    1) what rpm are you leaving at?
    2) do you want to leave with the throttle wide open?

Also, any recommendation on using the Start Retard option on the Digital Retard box and (if so) what setting (2-10*)?
    would need to know what the idle and total timing was?

startretard8975.jpg

Lastly, any advice on what gauge wires to use for the majority of the wiring (other than those noted as Heavy)?
    12 gauge...battery leads to relays 10 gauge.

79 Vette Guest

When leaving the starting line, I'm at ~5,000 RPM.

I do not want to leave the throttle wide open. This kit is being installed just for fun, not for any serious drag racing.

The car idles at ~800 RPM. The initial timing is set at 19*. Advanced timing is set at 37*.

Thanks for the advice on the wire gauges. I'm assuming I should have an inline fuse just before each of of the following:
    • MSD Ignition
    • MSD Digital Retard
    • MSD Window Switch
    • NOS Solenoids

msdtech1955 Guest

The car idles at ~800 RPM. The initial timing is set at 19*. Advanced timing is set at 37*.
    if it is starting fine now....i would not use the start retard.
    the reason....the start retard is 20 degrees...it would make it "harger to start with no timing in it.

msdtech1955 Guest

I do not want to leave the throttle wide open. This kit is being installed just for fun, not for any serious drag racing.

good to hear .....that drawing you did will work out fine.:001_cool:
    and ..(looking at the views )...i'm sure others are greatfull you did that .:001_cool:

msdtech1955 Guest

Thanks for the advice on the wire gauges. I'm assuming I should have an inline fuse just before each of of the following:
    MSD Ignition
    MSD Digital Retard
    MSD Window Switch
    NOS Solenoids
    if anything ..maybe the battery leads to the relays....

I can't see your logic in the switch and light.

You have one side of the switch to ground, why?

The rest is all good.
    Regards, Gary