Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strange Timing Advance Jump?

Removing MSD 6AL now. Both boxes (Digital/Analog) are new and maybe I can sell them. Don't want to spend even more money on another distributor that may work.

I would suggest using a timing light that makes a direct electrical connection to the plug wire rather than the clip over the wire style. Because the clip type light has to work with a comparatively weak trigger signal it can be prone to picking up stray noise and triggering erratically. The non-clip type light needs about 2000 volts minimum to trigger. It doesn't have to have dial back facilities; all you are looking for is a jump in the reading.

If you take a close look on big screen to video I posted earlier (not perfectly synced with Go Pro and iPhone) you can actually se that the dual spark also makes a relatively big jump sideways (forward) inside the distributor. I don't know what can do this, but for sure it's no measurement problem. I could hear last time a change on engine sound also.

Problem solved now finally! Too short wires inside the distributor played with advance. Now connected from MSD 6 to magnetic pickup and no jump in timing.

I have a stock 442 with a 455 Olds and MSD 8529 Ready-To-Run distributor. I’m having a problem with the timing. With the car warm, timing set @ 12° initial, vacuum advance disconnected. As RPM increases the timing retards and then advances, but doesn’t return to the 12° and the RPM increases from 750 to 1200 RPM. If I shut the car off and restart it. It goes back to 12° and 750 RPM I’ve checked advance weights, cap, rotor, and vacuum advance. All move freely. I’m out of ideas. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123