Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6AL-2 Programmable 6530 LED flash.

droww Guest

Default 6AL-2 Programmable 6530 LED flash.

The LED on my box flashes twice then goes off. Is it suppose to be on?
    My old box (crane) came with a chart with a guide with diagnostics for LED flashes.
    The car has no spark.

msdtech1955 Guest

Are you talking with the key on, or running?

LED
    The LED on the side of the MSD monitors several operating conditions of the MSD. If the LED indicates
    that there is a problem with the ignition system, follow the steps through the Troubleshooting section.
    The LED will appear to be on steady at above idle speeds when everything is functioning properly.
    • When 12 volts are applied to the small Red wire, the LED will turn on to indicate power.
    • When cranking or running, the LED will blink for each trigger signal.
    Code 2 will flash for low battery voltage.• Code 3 will flash for high battery voltage.
    • Code 4 will flash for converter off (ignition problem).

droww Guest

key is on, car doesn't run - no spark,
    I guess I'll check ground. It appeared fine but is attached to chassis. Is it OK to lengthen the ground wire to reach battery? The box is in the interior.

msdtech1955 Guest

have you done the test for spark yet ?

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206

droww Guest

Yes, I did that test I used a switch and toggled it off and on.
    If you think the 2 flash is a voltage problem I figured I'd redo the ground. Can I lenghthen it? I'll start there I guess I have 12v on heavy red wire and ign power. Tried 2 coils. Kind of stumped.

You have 12v (with a test lamp or multimeter?) between the small red and ground.
    Are you measuring to the MSD's ground point or another ground?
    If the voltage reads the same across the battery with ignition on as your voltage at your module, then I can't see why you would need to extend your ground, but you can do it if you want.
    Regards, Gary

droww Guest

Used a multimeter, was grounding to sill plate screw. This car ran the way it is setup, maybe has 3-4 hrs run time on it. Seems like a good ground. One day car's just dead.
    I just need to spend more time on this but just wanted to know what 2 flashes meant before I drove myself nuts. I also know sometimes its a bad idea to lengthen the ground cable on some electronics.

msdtech1955 Guest

that ground needs to be redone - for sure.

droww Guest

Just to clarify I was grounding my multimeter lead to the sill plate screw when testing not the MSD box. The box was grounded to a 1/4" bolt under the dash.

msdtech1955 Guest

the ground wire needs to be chassis or on the negative side of the battery .

FLOATING GROUND1.JPG

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast