Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holley HP EFI Help Needed Starting

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, there's only one blue/white wire (A28) on the P1A connector; it will operate a tachometer if not already in use (ignition wiring).
    Does this wire have another purpose than tach signal? Can it mess up proper ignition if I tap into that, or can it be removed from the connector on the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by 1967c10 View Post
    Does this wire have another purpose than tach signal?
    Yes. It's part of the ignition harness, when a GM HEI computer controlled distributor or Ford TFI distributor is used.

Can it mess up proper ignition if I tap into that, or can it be removed from the connector on the distributor?
    I've only used it (to operate a tachometer) with a crank trigger ignition; meaning it wasn't already in use with my ignition wiring.
    If it's not used with your ignition application, why do you want to remove it? I'm not sure I understand your intention?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Default Electric Fan

Danny,
    What pin on the input/output harness do I wire to my cooling fan relay to trigger the fan on and off at the specified temp?
    Also, would the output type for the fan be ground or 12v?
    Last edited by Regal454; 11-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regal454 View Post
    What pin on the input/output harness do I wire to my cooling fan relay to trigger the fan on and off at the specified temp?
    It doesn't have a specific assigned pin.
    After enabling the Electric Fan (in "Basic I/O" - System Parameters), it must be Pin-Mapped to an available J1 connector output pin.

Also, would the output type for the fan be ground or 12v?
    I prefer it to be a ground output, however, it can be programmed to be either one (12V or ground).
    Enter "Inputs/Outputs" (also in System Parameters), and select the Output Type for Electric Fan #1.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I am not sure I am following you...so I can run ANY wire on the Input/Output connector to the fan relay, run the pin map, and the computer will recognize it as the electric fan?

I have already enabled the Electric Fan (in "Basic I/O" - System Parameters).

I'm not sure I am following you...so I can run ANY wire on the Input/Output connector to the fan relay...
    Not necessarily any pin; any available Output pin, according to which Output Type you selected.
    Don't worry, the EFI software won't allow you to make a mistake with the Pin Map.
    Did you read the Pin Map link I underlined in my last post?

...run the Pin Map, and the computer will recognize it as the electric fan?
    Correct, you're actually programming the ECU to assign a specific function to that pin/circuit.

I have already enabled the Electric Fan (in "Basic I/O" - System Parameters).
    OK, but have you also entered "Inputs/Outputs" (also in System Parameters), and selected the Output Type for Electric Fan #1?
    Since you already enabled the Electric Fan #1, you'll see it on the Pin Map; click "View Outputs".
    Then click & drag it to an available J1 Connector pin. Now you can run this wire to your electric fan relay.

If anyone needs an electric fan relay/wiring kit, this Holley kit works with C950, Avenger, HP & Dominator ECUs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medium534-134.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	341
    http://www.holley.com/534-134.asp
    (Electric Fan Relay/Wiring Kit)
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...9R10158rev.pdf (Instructions)

A wiring problem with the crank or cam sensor. It's very important that you correct this.
    Danny, can you please elaborate on what kind of wiring problem I may have?
    The car starts and runs fine but the sensor display is still reading zero for everything?

Danny, can you please elaborate on what kind of wiring problem I may have?
    The car starts and runs fine but the sensor display is still reading zero for everything?
    Are you referring to the Data Monitor? All the sensors read zero on the Data Monitor?
    If the engine starts & runs fine, then you don't necessarily have a wiring problem.
    I'd enter the EFI software and verify that your Ignition Type & parameters are configured correctly.

What does your ignition system consist of?
    And how are your Ignition Parameters configured?

Are you referring to the Data Monitor? All the sensors read zero on the Data Monitor?
    If the engine starts & runs fine, then you don't necessarily have a wiring problem.
    I'd enter the EFI software and verify that your Ignition Type & parameters are configured correctly.

What does your ignition system consist of?
    And how are your Ignition Parameters configured?
    Yes, All of the sensors read 0 in the Data Monitor while the car is running with the computer hooked up to the ECU.
    My ignition system is the factory LY6 coils that came on the engine.

My ignition parameters are configured as follows:
    Ignition Type: Custom
    Type: LSx 58 tooth
    Offset: 0°
    Cam Sensor: LSx 4x
    Output Setup: DIS Coil on Plug
    Dwell Time: 2.5 msec

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.
    -Marc

Yes, All of the sensors read 0 in the Data Monitor while the car is running with the computer hooked up to the ECU.
    If all the sensors read zero, maybe there's something wrong with the software installation.
    Which software & firmware versions are you using?
    Software: click "Help" (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware:
    click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    http://www.holley.com/TechService/Library.asp#FuelInjection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast