Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSD Boost controller help

Default MSD Boost controller help

I recently installed an MSD boost controller on my race car. The engine is a 4 cylinder turbo making approx 575hp. I have went to my local track to try and get some data and get the PID values correct. I am real new to this PID stuff and was hoping someone could take a look at my ACQ file and give me some pointers. PWM is swinging from one end to the other at 40 and 159 and boost is all over the place.

This run was with the PID at 40, 40 and 40.
    Attached Files Attached Files

msdtech21 Guest

I dont really know whats going on but there's no usable data in that run.

Boost controller bad run.JPG

msdtech1955 Guest

what is your set-up ?

Attached is my latest ACQ file.

It is keeping boost down right around 26-27psi but the target is 32-33.

What I don't understand is why the PWM is 159. If boost is below target, PWM should be like 40 correct?

Also, I do not have RPM registering, should it be? Is that one of my problems? I can hear the solenoids clicking when I rev up the engine.

PID was 30-15-10. With PID at 30-15-0 it was overboosting to 38psi the whole way.

HELP!
    Attached Files Attached Files

msdtech1955 Guest

just got back in , will look at it today .

Any luck looking at the file?

msdtech21 Guest

Are you monitoring manifold pressure or wastegate pressure? Are you using CO2? What size spring is in the wastegate? Yes we need an RPM signal for the boost controller to work correctly.

Monitoring manifold pressure, yes I am using C02 regulated to 62psi to the top of the gate. Spring in the gate is a 7lb spring.

I have the MSD GMR pickup to the positive lead of my coilpack and I get no RPM signal. Should I be using the DIS tach Adapter instead?

Whats the difference in using the GMR vs the Tach adapter?

msdtech21 Guest

The GMR pick up works like a timing light. It senses the pulse in the wire and generates a tach signal from that pulse. The 8913 is actually spliced into the coil wiring to generate a tach signal. Sometimes the insulation on the wire is too thick and impedes the GMR pick up from sensing the pulse on the wire. Try shaving some of the insulation down (Without exposing the conductor) to see if the GMR starts to generate a tach signal. The PWM is full open because the boost controller is unable to control the actual boost vs the target pressure. This could be due to no RPM signal or too small of a wastegate and the turbo is spiking through the wastegate. My first suggestion is to get the RPM signal fixed ASAP. Then possibly consider mounting a racepak 75psig sensor on the gate and monitoring/controlling the pressure on the gate. I'd use the EFI to data log boost pressure. It will be a lot more consistent and easier to troubleshoot.

Can you explain why in the instructions of the GMR explicitly state to place the washers either above or below the metal tab depending on which application it is installed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast