Thread: MSD 6425 (Digital 6AL) and MSD 8732 (Digital 2 Step) Issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    flat4tom Guest

Default MSD 6425 (Digital 6AL) and MSD 8732 (Digital 2 Step) Issues

Hello,

I am having an issue with my new Digital 6AL and the Digital 2 step I've installed. Here is what I have...

It is installed in my VW drag car. I'm using a Bosch 009 distributor with a Compufire points replacement. This is a new race car.

The 6AL is functioning fine. However, I'm on my 2nd 2-step box. I returned my first one because I thought it was working then stopped. Now I'm not sure it ever worked. I discovered I was able to rev over any limit I dialed into the 2-step.

I exchanged that 2-step for another 2-step and wired it in last weekend. However this 2-step is not working either. I can dial in any rev limit and rev past it with the LED on the top of the 2-step glowing away like it should.

I've wired it in as per the directions. Soldered all connections and heat shrink tubing sealed them (both installs). The LED on the 2-step comes on when it should with either my burnout switch or staging brake however it does not stop me from revving up to my 6AL rev limit. My tachometer is functioning fine as well.

Any idea on where I can check for problems? I'm somewhat at a loss since wiring this in is so simple, but it is not working. Thanks.

msdtech1955 Guest

what brand on spark oplug wires are you currently using ?

flat4tom Guest

Standard Bosch wires (silicone wires, bakelite ends), nothing fancy. Plugs are NGK

msdtech1955 Guest

are they solid core ? or carbon-core

flat4tom Guest

They are carbon core.

flat4tom Guest

How does the 2-step communicate with the 6AL to tell it to keep the rev's down? I'm thinking it has to have something to do with the gray wire...? :001_unsure:

Hi there! Same problem here. Please share how to make it work.
    Pertronix billet distributor II.
    MSD blaster coil.
    6al & digital 2 step. Thank you

Please start a new thread.
    shake-n-bake

Ok. Will do. Thanks

thank you sir
    shake-n-bake