Thread: wiring a universal rev limiter to a MSD 6a

p fandango Guest

Default wiring a universal rev limiter to a MSD 6a

i've got an Omex rev limter which i use for launch control, one of the wires goes to the negative side of the coil. Now i've got the MSD 6a am i right in thinking the limiter wire should be connected to the white wire on the 6a

many thanks yet again for the help Duane

msdtech1955 Guest

unfortunately , the rev-limiter will not work. the one you have is for inductive
    ignition ...and not c.d.

p fandango Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msdtech1955 View Post
    unfortunately , the rev-limiter will not work. the one you have is for inductive
    ignition ...and not c.d.
    ah thanks, thats blown it lol

p fandango Guest

been having a think & am i right in that the universal limiter would work ok with the Blaster coil tho?

going to make a circuit to bypass the 6A when the limiter is activated to get the launch control working

msdtech1955 Guest

The Soft Touch Rev Control, PN 8728, is designed to be used on standard points ignition or inductive ignition systems. This means that the PN 8728 can be installed on engines with a GM HEI Ignition, Ford or Chrysler electronic ignition, any standard breaker points systems or even with an MSD 5 or Blaster Ignition (non-CD ignitions). The Soft Touch Rev Control is adjusted with plug-in modules and is supplied with 6,000, 7,000 and 8,000 rpm modules. When the engine reaches your set rpm, the Soft Touch circuitry kicks in and drops the spark to certain cylinders. This limiter produces very accurate and smooth, backfire-free rev limits.Can be used on 4, 6 or 8-cylinder engines with inductive ignitions.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedf...structions.pdf

p fandango Guest

sorry to bring this back up again, but i really want to get the old system working. I've done a basic circuit that basically bypasses the 6A when the rev-limiter is active, is it ok? many thanks Duane

msdtech22 Guest

This question has been forwarded to me for clarification.

That rev. limiter and the 6A ignition we never meant to and WILL NOT work in conjunction with each other no matter how many relays you use.

The 6A unit has no provision for a rev. limiter.

We can add a 4 pin trailer connection for that unit for $65.00. You will then have to purchase the PN 8738 Rev. Limiter from one of our dealers.

By the time you add the cost of the conversion, the cost of the plug in Rev. Limiter, the sales taxes for the unit and the conversion plus all applicable shipping charges, you are looking at about $150.00 or more.

We usually suggest that you purchase a 6AL that already has a Rev. Limiter built in and keep the 6A as a back up ignition.

After you have a Rev. Limiter you can then add the 2/3 step modules to control the burn-out (if applicable), launch and high side RPM’s.

If you decide to send that unit in for the conversion, you will need to call the tech line at 915-855-7123, M – F, 8am – 5pm, Mountain Time and get an RMA number. The clerk will provide the shipping address at that time.

You can also go “on-line’ and get the RMA number: http://www.msdignition.com/RMA_step0.aspx

p fandango Guest

sorry for the confusion, the diagram above is intended to remove the 6A from the ignition system because of the limiter not being compatible with it when its activated. So when i want to engage the limiter it will be connected directly to the Blaster coil by removing the - from the amplifier & sending it to the limiter/coil. I think its going to have to be something i try & see tbh, can't see why it won't work as its rewiring the system & bypassing the 6A when the limiter is in use, then connecting it back up when the limiter is turned off

the limiter will only be activate on launch so the 6L won't be any good for my needs, thanks for all the help

msdtech22 Guest

Glad we could shed some light on the subject.