Thread: No Start/No Spark

Default No Start/No Spark

Not able to get spark/start after TPI install. Running stock TPI distributor. TPS AutoSet completed, everything hooked up according to Holley wiring diagram. Also, fuel pump is not starting during cranking. Have only tried cranking with injectors disconnected to sync distributor, but not able to get any spark at all. Thanks Jostein

Does the Data Monitor display legitimate cranking RPM?
    Does the Data Monitor display legitimate sensor values?
    Does a Datalog indicate any RPM Errors?
    Are the fuel injectors spraying fuel?
    Have you performed a TPS AutoSet?
    Is the fuel pressure set to proper psi?
    Does the fuel pump prime for 5 seconds at key-on?
    Is the ECU controlling timing?
    Does the timing light indicate there's spark/ignition?
    What does your ignition system consist of?
    Is the correct ignition type entered in Ignition Parameters?
    Are the spark plugs fuel fouled/wet?
    Are you running in sequential mode?
    If so, which cam sync sensor type is it?
    Is the ignition timing synchronized with the ECU?
    Is the keyed 12V red/white wire powered when cranking?
    Is the battery fully charged?
    The engine won't start if the throttle is opened beyond the "Clear Flood TPS" setting.
    Is it correctly wired as shown in the wiring manual? (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - LINK)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

RPM is fluctuating around 230 when cranking. Ignition system is a small cap GM computer controlled HEI with external coil. Not running sequential mode. Ignition Reference Angle 10° and Inductive Delay 240 usec. If you want I can send you my Global Folder. This is my first EFI install by the way! Jostein

You sure it's wired like Figure 3, page 13:
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf
    I'm asking because the ECU is receiving an RPM signal from the distributor, but the coil isn't producing spark.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Did some troubleshooting on my ignition today. Found my battery not to be good enough to produce spark when cranking. Tried to run the distributor outside the with a power drill, and a diode between battery+ and coil-. Everything seem to work then, diode is flashing and fuel pump starts up. Put the distributor back in and change to a new battery. Now it starts up, and runs rough for 2-3 sec, backfires through exhaust and stall. Can not feel any heat on headers from cyl. 1 and 2. Seems to start only on 6 cyl.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967c10 View Post
    Now it starts up, and runs rough for 2-3 sec, backfires through exhaust and stall.
    It will run rough until the engine reaches normal operating temperature initially, then the Learning will begin to self-tune the Base Fuel Table.

Can not feel any heat on headers from cyl. 1 and 2. Seems to start only on 6 cyl.
    As long as the Engine & Ignition Parameters are correctly programmed, this shouldn't be EFI related.

Finally got it to run long enough to start self-tune. Now it starts up almost OK and it idles good. But as soon as it gains some rpm it will shut and start again. And I see the green dot on CL Status turns blue, as soon I hit the gas-pedal. Is this normal, and a tuning issue, or have I got an ignition problem? Thanks, Jostein.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967c10 View Post
    And I see the green dot on CL status turns blue, as soon I hit the gas-pedal. Is this normal, and a tuning issue, or have I got an ignition problem?
    Closed Loop & Learning isn't active during periods of acceleration enrichment or deceleration (zero TPS, 400 RPM above target idle).
    The engine needs to be at "steady-state" RPM for the Learning to function, at lower RPM.
    The Closed Loop Status has many momentary periods when it's inactive (Open Loop mode).
    This is normal due to the TPS & MAP based acceleration enrichment (transient fueling).
    Also, any "noise" on the TPS or MAP signal wire (false Rate of Change) will deactivate Closed Loop.
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...__statuses.pdf (Sensor Diagnostics & Statuses)