Thread: New but old model msd pulse questions

bigbear Guest

Default New but old model msd pulse questions

I have an MSD Pulse system for my Sportster, which I purchased new at least 12 years ago and never got around to installing it until now.
    Let me go on record here that I talked a cycle dealer in Tucson to buy several of these, even though they weren't available through normal cycle distributors. Every vehicle I have owned in the last 25 years has had some form of MSD ignition, and I was not about to change on this bike.
    My intention from the beginning was to go dual plug. MSD recommended the 8204 coils, which I purchased, but now I read an old post here by an MSD tech, which really concerns me, from April 2003, states as follows:

1. Coil Recommendation for the Harley Pulse Ignition: Output voltage 30KV, Primary resistance 0.2 Ohms, Secondary Resistance 70:1.
    2. Ohm range recommendation should be no higher than 1 ohm. Refer to question one under coil recommendation. The primary resistance should be .2 ohms. Anything lower than .2 ohms is fine as well.

My unit is black, and although I cant find any numbers stamped on the CD unit, I do see a round yellow sticker with "Lot No. 31494".

1) Would I be better off selling these coils and buying a couple of coils at .2ohms or lower? Why is it OK to have 2 coils at 1.2 ohms, when your tech states that coils should be no higher than 1 ohm? This is going to be used in a detuned Sputhe drag motor, otherwise I would just use the furnished coils and go single plug.
    2) Please refer to the photo. I have a distributor on this engine, with DYNA S pickups installed. Can I use these as intstalled to trigger my MSD Pulse?

thanks in advance,
    R Beardsley
    Attached Images Attached Images

bigbear Guest

Exclamation Hello, is anyone home?

COME ON MSD! YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS.

IT TOOK ME A WEEK TO GET MY ACCOUNT TO WORK, NOW IT'S ALMOST ANOTHER WEEK WITHOUT A RESPONSE. :confused1:

I'VE SOLVED THE DISTRIBUTOR ISSUE. HOW ABOUT AN INFORMATIVE DISCOURSE ON COILS, HOW PRIMARY RESISTANCE RELATES TO CD IGNITIONS, LIMITS OF COIL RESISTANCE WITH RESPECT TO STREET DRIVING (HEAT), WHICH WOULD HELP US ALL OUT?

I'M ALL EARS

Sorry for the delay is getting back to you. As for the coils part number 8204 they will work with the Pulse system for a dual plug set up. Now for your distributor we have not used the Dyna S triggers to run the pulse system. There is a possibility the MSD triggers part number 42305 will fit in place of the Dyna triggers. There may be some modifications need to fit the triggers in the distributor. If you have any other questions please contact me at 1-915-856-2727.

Thank you
    Ray C