Thread: 2008 Yamaha Outboard 2 Stroke F15

ikorsa Guest

Default 2008 Yamaha Outboard 2 Stroke F15

Which MSD ignition I can use for 2 stroke Yamaha outboad F15 (2 cyl.) ?
    Any advice , thanks

msdtech22 Guest

Your question has been passed onto our small engine and watercraft division. Expect an answer from them soon.

The ignition that has been used on the outboard race engine is the Multi Channel watercraft ignition. The unit is programmable via dip switches on the back of the unit. The unit allows you to adjust rev-limit and timing. A flywheel and trigger plate will have to be fabricated to fire the system. Here is a parts list of what you will need. If you have any questions please let me know.

to veiw these parts go to www.msdpowersports.com

Pn 42351 ignition
    Pn 42921 x 2 coils
    Pn 43161 x 2 trigers
    Pn 31009 wire set

Thank you

Ray C
    1-915-856-2727

ikorsa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msdpowersports1 View Post
    The ignition that has been used on the outboard race engine is the Multi Channel watercraft ignition. The unit is programmable via dip switches on the back of the unit. The unit allows you to adjust rev-limit and timing. A flywheel and trigger plate will have to be fabricated to fire the system. Here is a parts list of what you will need. If you have any questions please let me know.

to veiw these parts go to www.msdpowersports.com

Pn 42351 ignition
    Pn 42921 x 2 coils
    Pn 43161 x 2 trigers
    Pn 31009 wire set

Thank you

Ray C
    1-915-856-2727
    Thanks Ray,

my problem - I can not change the Yamaha coils, how to use 42351 ignition with Yamaha coils, regarding racing rules I can not change the original coils....

Thanks
    Igor K

You could use the stock coils with the 42351 unit. Do the rules allow you to remove the flywheel and stator and replace them with aftermarket parts?

thank you

Ray C

ikorsa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msdpowersports1 View Post
    You could use the stock coils with the 42351 unit. Do the rules allow you to remove the flywheel and stator and replace them with aftermarket parts?

thank you

Ray C
    Yes, I can change the pickup sensors, stock has mechanical link carburator!
    Stock coil - I'm worry about voltage :
    - 120 Volt - Cranking
    - 210 Volt - 1500 RPM
    - 170 Volt - 3500 RPM

As I understood MSD coil work around 500 Volt .
    The real problem that this JT-250 class is junior team - from 10 till 16 years.
    My pilots 12 years old (twins) www.f-2000.ru
    When you crank a motor (electric start) you open full trottle ( it has hard link with pickup sensor - 30 degress advance - difficult to start and go.

I'm looking for MSD ignition to solve this problem. I have to try different ignition curvs to find out the best. I have CHT sensors in both cyl.+ Tach.

Thanks, Igor.

The multi channel ignition pn 42351 has a start retard that pulls the timing back 20° to help start the engine. Once the unit sees 800 rpm the timing jumps back to full advance.
    From that point you use the dip switches on the back of the unit to program a timing curve, rpm limiter and hole shot. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you
    Ray C