Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C950 no go?

Langan Guest

Default C950 no go?

The computer cable I have is part #1r-873a-271r-873a. I don't have an old enough computer so got adapter and nothing?
    The adapter is named Gigaware USB-to-Serial cable.

The computer is grounded, all ends are connected, only one O2 sensor is hooked up (don't know if two can be hooked up?). All wires are connected except a blue and orange I think one is for neutral safety and one for A/C? There is one connector not hooked up IPU?

I could not get spark from coil I was thinking that modulator in distributor was bad so while taking distributor out I turned it and zap had spark from coil? When I flip switch on red/white no spark. Fuel pump does run for 5 seconds.

It does run with primer fuel and power off. Just starts and runs on prime.
    The coil hook up detail is Figure 67 (no MSD type box).

Also, what do you think about the upgrade 550-604 or the Dominator kit? Seems expensive.
    Last edited by Langan; 10-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Langan View Post
    I don't have an old enough computer so got adapter and nothing?
    What do you mean? Is your laptop communicating with the ECU or not?

...only one O2 sensor is hooked up (don't know if two can be hooked up?).
    The Commander 950 can only use one WBO2 sensor.

All wires are connected except a blue and orange I think one is for neutral safety and one for A/C? There is one connector not hooked up IPU?
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...l/R10149-7.pdf (C950 EFI manual)

I could not get spark from coil I was thinking that modulator in distributor was bad, so while taking distributor out I turned it and zap had spark from coil? When I flip switch on red/white no spark.
    Recheck your wiring.

It does run with primer fuel and power off. Just starts and runs on prime.
    When cranking to start, is the "Fuel Pump On" indicator highlighted (Fuel & Spark Map)?

The coil hook up detail is Figure 67 (no MSD type box).
    Do you mean Figure 76? If so, are you using the yellow wire? ECU not controlling timing?

Also, what do you think about the upgrade 550-604 or the Dominator kit? Seems expensive.
    Yes, the Dominator EFI kit is expensive for a reason. Do you need this level of capability?
    Perhaps the HP ECU & Harness Kit will suit your needs? http://www.holley.com/types/HP%20EFI...ess%20Kits.asp
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Langan Guest

Thank you for reply.
    My cable is for serial port. My laptop is USB I bought adapter and no communication.
    My kit was used and had 2 in WBO2 sensors in box.
    I have the manual and rechecked wiring (cant find the orange and the blue) on diagram that's why I think they are to neutral and A/C?
    Fuel pump runs for 5 sec. and it is pumping.
    Figure 67 on page 89 shows coil hook up.
    I want to use this but $1500.00 for new ECU and wiring and no answers from Holley.
    This forum is the last try for me. Thank you for reply, you are only help I have found.
    If I disconnect constant power red wire and leave red & white hot, I get spark.
    Last edited by Langan; 10-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.

My cable is for serial port. My laptop is USB I bought adapter and no communication.
    Some Serial-to-USB cables are troublesome.
    I successfully used this USB-to-Serial cable from SewellDirect.com:
    http://sewelldirect.com/cr/_1563_A-t...pter-cable.asp

TIP: If purchasing the Sewell USB-to-Serial adapter cable, be sure to follow the instructions to the letter. There's a specific order of downloading the software and initially plugging the cable in. If not followed correctly, it won't assign a 'comm port' and you'll have to do it manually in the 'Device Manager'.

Figure 67 on page 89 shows coil hook up.
    You're looking at an outdated C950 manual. Use this:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...l/R10149-7.pdf (C950 Pro manual)

...rechecked wiring (cant find the orange and the blue) on diagram thats why I think they are to neutral and A/C?
    Yes, the blue wire is for Park/Neutral and the orange is for A/C Request.
    Neither is necessary for proper operation of the EFI system; they're optional features:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...l/R10149-7.pdf (page 19)

If I disconnect constant power red wire and leave red & white hot, I get spark.
    Something is not right. You may have a defective ECU.

This forum is the last try for me. Thank you for reply, you are only help I have found.
    You're welcome.
    I can help you, but ultimately, the EFI system has to function properly and be installed correctly.
    I successfully ran the Commander 950 Pro EFI system for many years, so I know it works.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Langan Guest

Thanks-you do help a lot and thanks for that. No help whatsoever from Holley? I am about ready to stop trying with this. Too bad it looks good but to update another $1500 or $1300 from Amazon and no support from Holley. Was hopping it ran good enough to get me interested. I build a new motor just for it. But at these costs and support, a LS style is less expensive.
    I will try your USB adapter before I take engine off test stand. Thanks again for your help, Holley should pay you. Jim

No help whatsoever from Holley? I am about ready to stop trying with this.
    You don't need Holley's help yet, because you haven't been able to communicate with the ECU. Try the different Comm 1-4 ports.
    After rectifying your laptop issue, enter "Hardware Settings", and setup your Engine Parameters (engine, ignition, EFI type, etc.).

If it were me, I'd go find a used computer that can run Winhozed 98, look on Craigslist, thrift stores, etc. I just today bought an old Gateway laptop that ran 98, and just tonight got it and the software reinstalled and running. The computer cost me 4 1/2 bucks!!!

I also have a Think Pad 600x which can talk to the thing, both of which have real RS232 IE DB-9 serial ports.

Are you sure you didn't confuse the orange and red wire? I find it difficult to tell the difference. The red goes to one side of the fuse, so use your meter and check between if there's any confusion.

To get the computer to read the ECU, you need black (ground) I just hooked the black to the ECU mounting flange and hooked battery neg there to both of 'em.

And battery positive hooked to the solid red and the red/white tracer. Is the fuse good?

As suggested, check your comm ports. On the main software header, just pop the "comm" button, and try the 4 ports.

I don't even have a Holley serial cable. I made one from an old handheld organizer.

Quote Originally Posted by 440roadrunner View Post
    And battery positive hooked to the solid red and the red/white tracer.
    The red/white wire connects to the switched/keyed 12V source, not to the positive battery terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The red/white wire connects to the switched/keyed 12V source, not to the positive battery terminal.
    Yes. What I was getting at is, they both the red and the red/white must be powered, and the idea that - at least the harness I have - the orange and red are VERY close in color. I'm not color blind, either.

Langan Guest

Something else I may not know about I have no original software trying to use a download from a Tom Z. nice guy. I may be doing a lot wrong can't get computer to talk to ECU. Was hopping it would at least run?
    I have left it set up on stand while I build a LS style motor. If you guys or someone else helps me get it going great then I will upgrade to the easier to tune ECU if this is not OK.
    Maybe someone has an old ecu and program they have from upgrading theirs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast