Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6al cutting out

kdburris Guest

Default 6al cutting out

I am running a drag S-10 truck, small block chevy. I have installed the 6AL ignition, 8739 2-step, 8982 retard control, blaster 2 coil, 85551 distributor and 8.8 super conducter wires. The truck also has nitrous, 5800 rpm stall converter, trans brake, etc.
    Here is my trouble. I am launching off the trans brake and 2-step at 4,000 rpm. It launches hard then it's just like the ign. shuts off for a millesecond and right back on. It does this until just past 60' then it runs strong the rest of the way. The shut off, cut out happens 3 or 4 times in the first 60'. I have eliminated the fuel because it does it while on nos too. (nos has it's own fuel supply). I have the heavy black to a battery ground which is also chassis grounded, the heavy red is to the battery. All wire connections have been soldered. There is a ground from engine to chassis, ground from battery to chassis too. I have an alternator so voltage is 14.5 volts. Could it be a bad 2-step or a bad retard control? When it shuts off it doesn't go into a rev control, just off then back on. 60' times are 1.78 to 1.82 but the truck is running 7.30 and 107 mph in 1/8 mile. We have tried everything, all wiring has been checked and rechecked. Next time at the track I am going to unhook the 2-step to see what happens. MSD tech or anyone else got any suggestions? I sure could use any advise. Thanks

MSDTECH8 Guest

kdburris,

Since all your wiring has been checked, I need you to perform one more test. I need you to make one pass with the 2 step module removed. You should still be able to launch the truck @ 4000 RPM, but you will need to hold the rpm steady while the trans-brake is active. If the problem still continues then we need to look further into the wiring. The ground path would be my first concern, when the suspension is shocked a ground path could not be consistant.

MSDTach8

jimmyallard2003 Guest

I had the same problem in my s10 when it had a 406 sbc chevy in it with same 6al, same coil and same dist. I fought it for a month thinking all the wiring was perfect, but it turned out to be a ground problem. Just for the heck of it run a temp ground from engine to chassis to box in addition to your current ground.

kdburris Guest

Default msd ground

Thanks for the help. I am going to try to ground from engine to chassis and then to 6AL ground. This makes sense, although we take for granted the ditstributer has a good ground it may not. I also read we should ground from head to head to chassis and to the 6AL box. It's going to be a couple weeks before I get to go back to the track so if anyone else has any suggestions please post them. I'll try anything and it could help others as well. Thanks again!!

msdtech1955 Guest

did the ground work?

kdburris Guest

MSD tech's, and all others, here is what I have done since the original post. I have ran a soldered ground wire from the back of each head then to the intake then to the firewall where it ties to the chassis/front of engine ground. From the firewall junction the ground continues to the MSD box ground which ties in with a ground wire back to the battery ground. All wires are soldered.

Because of prior commitments I can not run the truck for a couple of weeks.
    What do you think? It's looking like a spiderweb with all the grounds. HaHa!

msdtech1955 Guest

well, that would be a "true" path to ground.:thumbup:

kdburris Guest

I got to run the truck tonight. First pass it was still cutting out. Not as bad but still significant. Truck ran a 7.73. I unplugged the 2-step box and put my 8,000 pill in launched the truck off the trans brake at 4,000 it did not cut out and the truck went a 6.83. Ran two more passes blew the tires off but still went a 7.10. Looks like a faulty msd 2-step box. MSD tech what do I need to do this was a new unit? I want to run a 2-step because it's easier to launch the truck this way. Thanks

kdburris Guest

Raced the truck today. Installed another new MSD 2-step controler. No cutting out. Truck ran a 6.41. Looks like it is a bad MSD 2-step that I had on it. Sure caused me a lot of headaches trying to figure it out. Now if a MSDTECH rep will answer me and tell me how they are going to make their product good I will be happy. MSD Tech Rep, where are you?

msdtech1955 Guest

call ( 915-857-5200) or email msdtech@msdignition.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast