Thread: MSD mc2 install question

81xsproject Guest

Default MSD mc2 install question

I am installing the MSD mc2 on my '80 Yamaha XS1100. The bike is an inline-4 motor. The stock ignition system consists of mechanically advanced timing, with 2 pick-up coils, that each have 2 wires. The 4 pick-up coil wires go to the ignition box. From the ignition there is then 3 wires that go to the coils, one of which splits and is the 12v supply to the coils. I would like to eliminate the stock ignition box and just run the mc2 unit. Can this be done, and if so how?

This is my wiring diagram

Default Mc-2

Hello,
    Your wiring diagram is not clear but basically how the MC-2 works is this...... if you have 12 volts at the coil with the key in the on position then it will work with your stock ignition system (provided you are firing in a "wasted" spark configuration as this is a two channel box). In your case you would like to run this as a "stand alone" ignition so our Hall Effect motorcycle pickups part number 42306 will have to be used. These are universal pickups so what you are going to get with these is two pickups and one magnet. We do not offer a pickup plate or rotor for your bike so these will have to be fabricated. The plate and rotor will look something similar to the kits we offer for the Kawasaki and Suzuki bikes if you need a reference. Once you have everything made and installed it is just a matter of wiring. Again keep in mind the "wasted" spark I mentioned earlier because on a four cylinder application you will have to run two dual output coils firing cylinders 1&4 and 2&3 (it will not fire four individual coils). There are also no timing capabilities if you are running just the MC-2. Where your initial timing is set is where it will be throughout the RPM range. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech