Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commander ............ 950 :-( and my problems

Are you controlling the timing with your C950 ECU or not?
    Connect the yellow/black wire to the MSD Tach Output terminal.
    Do not use the yellow wire with an MSD ignition box.
    The C950 only indicates RPM when the engine is running.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

drspeed16v Guest

Default Software

Hello Danny,

Thanks for the feedback. OK here is the next step which hopefully gets me a bit closer to the solution.
    The C950 DOES NOT control the timming, it is controlled by the Distrinbutor
    I have followed all your other recomandations, but still do not get it to start.
    No my question:
    My engine is a 351 Cleveland. However on the CD there isn't such a model listed. Which comparable engine model could I use from that list?

Looking forward to your timely reply as usual, best regards,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Are you controlling the timing with your C950 ECU or not?
    Connect the yellow/black wire to the MSD Tach Output terminal.
    Do not use the yellow wire with an MSD ignition box.
    The C950 only indicates RPM when the engine is running.

Which distributor are you using?
    Which CD box are you using?
    You shouldn't need a tach adapter.

Did you attempt to run the engine with the C950 yellow wire connected to the CD ignition box? If so, this damaged the ECU.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 05-31-2010 at 05:55 AM.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

drspeed16v Guest

Default Distributor info

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the quick reply.
    We are using Distributor model PN 8350 from MSD

I have the CD Box at another place and will be able to send you the details tomorrow latest. However any more insights in the meantime will be appreciated.

I am not 100 sure about the yellow wire. I don't think so. Is there a way to check the functionality of the ECU?

Regards,
    Andy

drspeed16v Guest

Hi Danny,

Just thought about something else.
    When I switch on the ignition then I can hear the fuel pump starting to build up the pressure, this is controlled from the ECU. So therefore I don't think there is a problem with the ECU itself. I can also get access to the ECU from the laptop, like check the dif. sensors, battery etc. However I do not have any signal for the injection, do not get a RPM signal while attempt to start.

regards,
    Andy

If the ECU is damaged due to using the C950 yellow wire with a CD ignition box,
    the ignition circuit will be damaged; not the fuel pump circuit or communications.

drspeed16v Guest

Hi Danny.

Pro Software version 3.0.7 ,..........what options I have for the ECU to check?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by drspeed16v View Post
    Hi Danny.
    Pro Software version 3.0.7, what options I have for the ECU to check? Thank you
    Click on the About & Version tab (with the key-on) to find your current software and firmware versions.
    I don't know how to test the ECU or if it's possible from your end.

drspeed16v Guest

Hi Danny,

I have found

PC interface Software Version 3.07

Commander 950 Firmware Version 3.6

Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12