Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commander ............ 950 :-( and my problems

drspeed16v Guest

Default Commander ............ 950 :-( and my problems

Hello from Germany, I hope this info on the Commander 950 to get.
    The Commander 950 gets no engine speed signal from the MSD ignition box (spark OK)

thank gruß Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by drspeed16v View Post
    The Commander 950 gets no engine speed signal from the MSD ignition box (spark OK).
    The C950 doesn't get an RPM signal from the MSD box; it gets an RPM signal from the distributor or crank trigger, then sends it to the MSD box. When cranking the engine, is the "Fuel Pump On" indicator (Fuel Map) highlighted in red? If not, it's not getting the RPM signal from the distributor. Remember, do not use the yellow wire if using any CD ignition box.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

drspeed16v Guest

Hi, thanks for the reply, if I understand correctly I can the connection on the MSD box (Tach - engine speed) for the Commander 950 does not use engine speed (yellow cable), I have to buy a trigger sensor? what a sensor I need for the Commander 950 (950-23S) Motor Ford 351 C? Part number?
    What are the basic (Commander 950 950-23s) software from the CD I need for the 351C motor?
    What kind of an engine speed signal required by the 950-23s Analog Digital?

What parts do I need as expansion kit (trigger signal distribution) for the Commander 950-351C 23s on the motor is eliminated when the MSD ignition box?

THANK YOU.

Hallo,danke für die Antwort,wenn ich es richtig verstanden habe kann ich den anschluss an der MSD Box ( Tach - Motordrehzahl ) für die Commander 950 nicht verwenden Motordrehzahl ( gelbes Kabel ) ,muss ich ein Trigger Sensor kaufen ? was für ein Sensor benötige ich für die Commander 950 ( 950-23S ) Motor Ford 351 C ? Teile Nummer ?
    Welche basis (Commander 950950-23s ) Software von der CD benötige ich für den 351C Motor ?
    Was für ein Art vom Motordrehzahlsignal benötigt die 950-23s Analog Digital ?

Was für Teile benötige ich als Erweiterungskit ( Trigger Signal ,Verteiler ) für die Commander 950-23s auf dem 351C Motor wenn die MSd Zündbox wegfällt ?

DANKE .
    Last edited by drspeed16v; 05-25-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Is your C950 ECU controlling ignition timing?
    Which distributor are you using? An EFI or mechanical (vacuum) advance?
    The wiring diagrams at the end of the C950 manual (Appendix 10) should clarify what's necessary:
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R10149-7.pdf
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

drspeed16v Guest

1) Is your C950 ECU controlling ignition timing?
    2) Which distributor are you using? An EFI or mechanical (vacuum) advance?
    3)The wiring diagrams at the end of the C950 manual (Appendix 10) should clarify what's necessary:

I think the MSD box and distribution are not compatible with the Commander 950

1)No is a MSD 6AL Pat no: 6420 with MSD distributor PN 8350 Vacum
    2) mechanical (vacuum) advance !!!
    3)I do not understand :-(
    4) what a motor speed signal requires the commad 950 Analog / Digital positive / negative + -?
    5) the basic software for Commander 950 ECU??

danke.........

OK, now I know exactly what you're working with.
    Yes, the MSD box and distributor is compatible with the C950.
    Simply follow the wiring diagram (figure 82) on page 107 of the C950 manual:
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R10149-7.pdf

drspeed16v Guest

Hi, installed the distributor please look Figure13 Connecting to 8250 MSD Ignition Control

http://www.msdignition.com/instructiondownload.aspx

I can the yellow cable for Commander 950 Engine speed signal
    cable between MSD White Box --- Orange distributor cable ?????????

Very important that the basic software I need for the Commander 950??

Thank you

Hallo, verbaut ist der Zündverteiler 8250 schau bitte Figure13 Connecting an MSD Ignition Control

http://www.msdignition.com/instructiondownload.aspx

kann ich das Gelbeskabel für Commander 950 Motordrehzahlsignal
    zwischen MSD Box Weißes kabel --- Zündverteiler Orangekabel ?????????

Ganz wichtig welche Basis Software benötige ich für die Commander 950 ???

Danke

drspeed16v Guest

Hi, can I White-Orange (MSD BOX) Cable looks here

http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...pdf?terms=8350

Figure 13 Connecting to MSD Ignition Control

.......... As the engine speed signal for the Holley Commander 950
    (Yellow cable) to connect with ...

Yellow cable engine speed signal (Commander 950 wire )positive or negative? MSD 8910 or 8920 or?

Thank you.
    Thank you
    Last edited by drspeed16v; 05-26-2010 at 09:54 AM.

The C950 yellow/black wire connects to the MSD's brown wire (not the yellow wire).
    Wire everything else according to MSD's instructions: http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...pdf?terms=8350
    The Commander 950 software can be downloaded here: http://www.holley.com/TechService/Library.asp (Commander 950 Software)

drspeed16v Guest

Hello Danny,

Firstly let me thank you for your patience, you have realy helped me a lot so far. I am now at the point where I have connected everything as per Figure 13, from the MSD instructions.
    Now my current problem.
    I have connected the TACH OUTPUT signal directly from the 950C, the yellow wire. This is a negative signal. Now, when I try to see the signal in the connected laptop it does NOT show. The question is:
    Does it not show because it is a negative signal, with other words, do I need to provide a positive signal for it in order to work? Or did I connect something not correctly?
    Thanks in advance and I hope we can figur this out together.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
    best regards,
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast