Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDI Part No 4217

torque Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msdpstech1
    Is this Andy from Indonesia? Can I ask what type of motorcycle you installed this on? Also what are you triggering the 4217 with (Hall Effect or Mag pickup)? Keep in mind that depending how you are triggering the ignition this must also be programmed into it. As for the pickup reference the engine must be idling between 800 and 1200 RPM to pickup the timing tab width. Since you cannot get your bike to idle it will not give you a reference as far as tab width. There is another way to do this though. You can download a degree wheel off the internet. Here is a possible link to a web site where you can find this: http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/Timing_Degree_Wheel.jpg . Once you have this you can measure your flywheel and determine how many degrees your timing tab is by measuring the width of the tab and then transposing it onto this degree wheel in reference to the outside diameter of your flywheel. Once the tab width is known this number must be programmed into the ignition. You may also need to install the resistor (included in the parts bag) across the green and violet wires. Provided you are triggering the 4217 with the stock Mag pickup. This will clean up any excess noise that may be affecting the function of the ignition. If you are triggering using the white wire then disregard everything having to do with the green and violet wires. I hope I didn't confuse you more, if I did let me know. Thanks again, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech
    My motorcycle using magnetic pick up, i aready connect the green wire and violet wire to the pick up trigger. after i install the CDI what is the next step ?
    Sorry, i'm not understand the next step. i already making a curve at the closed throttle. set the optional A to Triggewr Crank and Tach in Mag

torque Guest

Quote Originally Posted by torque
    My motorcycle using magnetic pick up, i aready connect the green wire and violet wire to the pick up trigger. after i install the CDI what is the next step ?
    Sorry, i'm not understand the next step. i already making a curve at the closed throttle. set the optional A to Triggewr Crank and Tach in Mag

i don't understand about the resistor, when and how i must use the resistor ? you said i must put the resistor from green wire to violet wire ?

Default 4217

Hello Torque,
    I'll try to clarify the resistor first. On the 4217 harness closest to the pickup locate the violet and green wires. You will need to strip some of the sheathing (but not too much) from both wires. It is best to do this offset from each other to provide a proper fit for the resistor. Once this is done solder one end of the resistor to one wire and the other end to the other and then use heat shrink or electrical tape to insulate the wires. Do you have a base timing curve (factory timing)? Your timing may also be off if you don't. Normally on motorcycles there is 8 to 12 degrees of start timing which will add this amount to whatever degrees your timing tab is. So ultimately the zero point on your graph is whatever your start timing is. For example, if you have 10 degrees of start timing and you are adding 10 more degrees of timing at 1000rpm you are going to have approximately 20 degrees of timing @ 1000rpm. Let me know how it goes. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

torque Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msdpstech1
    Hello Torque,
    I'll try to clarify the resistor first. On the 4217 harness closest to the pickup locate the violet and green wires. You will need to strip some of the sheathing (but not too much) from both wires. It is best to do this offset from each other to provide a proper fit for the resistor. Once this is done solder one end of the resistor to one wire and the other end to the other and then use heat shrink or electrical tape to insulate the wires. Do you have a base timing curve (factory timing)? Your timing may also be off if you don't. Normally on motorcycles there is 8 to 12 degrees of start timing which will add this amount to whatever degrees your timing tab is. So ultimately the zero point on your graph is whatever your start timing is. For example, if you have 10 degrees of start timing and you are adding 10 more degrees of timing at 1000rpm you are going to have approximately 20 degrees of timing @ 1000rpm. Let me know how it goes. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech
    Thanks Bret , now my motorcycle can run smoothly now i understand about the timing reference, at sunday I'll try to set up timing curve.

I'm really excited about this product, because I reallly sure this will make my motorcycle more powerfull.

I want to ask you if i want to buy about 3 pieces can you give me a discount ?
    Because I'll put to my racebike and i want you support my team. Now at Indonesia Race for small motorcycle is very popular, and the Brand MSD for motorcycle not popular, but for car very popular. I want to try make it Popular. Please give me advice and email me at andy.22k@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your advice for everything.
    Best Regards

ANDY

bergman501 Guest

will a 4217 cdi work on a 2002 husaberg motorcycle? mag pickup i believe.
    stator voltage--red--bk=38-47 V while cranking on e-starter
    green-bk-trigger v=1.7-2.6V
    res. on red-bk wires=165 ohms
    green-bk=1.6 ohms
    having trouble with stock sim cdi/coil's (all one unit)

thanks kimble

Default 4217

Hello,
    The 4217 may work on your application provided your bike is not fuel injected and the flywheel has a timing tab. To check for a tab or tabs in some cases, you would have to remove the cover and expose the flywheel. You would be looking for a thin strip of metal either machined or welded onto the outside diameter of the flywheel. The 4217 would replace your stock ignition and you would have the option of running our coil as well. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

bergman501 Guest

hi mr tech-- i have no tab on flywheel. my flywheel is mounted on the crankshaft. it only has magnets in it (iner row for lights--outer row for cdi) the stator mounts in the flywheel cover. there is a metal tab on the stator behind the cdi volt coil (timing coil?) about 1" long.

thanks kimble

Default 4217

Hello,
    Is it possible to send me a photo or photos of your flywheel and trigger system? If not, wiring schematics and or diagrams from the service manual if you have this available to you. You can call me at 888-258-3835 and I can give you a fax number or e-mail address where you can send these. Thanks again, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

Default 4217

Hello Kimble,
    We were able to find a diagram of what we think is your flywheel on this web site: http://www.husaberg.com/Downloads.33.3.html. If this is your set up then the 4217 will not work for you using the mag inputs. It would be possible to use a hall effect to trigger it but you would have no charging system and some major fabricating and modifications would need to made to make it work. Sorry. Let me know if I can be of any more help. Thanks again, Bret MSD Powersports tech

Default crmc33-4217

Hello crmc33,
    I haven't heard from you in a few weeks and am curious how the 4217 is working on your XR650L? Do you have any questions I can help you with? Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports tech

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast