Thread: CDI Part No 4217

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    crmc33 Guest

Default CDI Part No 4217

Hi,

Ive ordered a 4217 CDI to fit to my Honda XR650L based single cylinder race bike here in the UK.
    I assume that this unit should work OK with a standard Honda Coil??

Do you have any installation or set-up manual available for this unit as this would be very useful. Is there any guidance given on what ign. advance curve mods to use. I assume its a case of getting the bike on the dyno and rerunning till the optimum curve is acheived without detonation?

crmc33 Guest

Default 4217 ignition

Hello,
    You can use the stock coil with this ignition but if you would like to get the most out of this system you can also run our MSD coil part number 8232 along with our 8.5 mm wire part number 31019. As far as timing the only information I have is for 1988 to 1991 XR600r models which is 6 degrees BTDC @ 1300 rpm and 31 degrees (+ or - 2 degrees) BTDC @ 4000 rpm. You may be able to find stock timing depending on the year of your 650 engine from the service manual. Even if this is a newer engine timing most likely has not changed much over the years so information from an older manual may be sufficient- at the least you would have a starting point to work from. Once you have a base curve you should have no problem plotting in a curve or curves for optimum performance especially if you have access to a dyno. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

torque Guest

Default msd pn 4217

Hai, I'm ANDY from Indonesia I already buy a PN 4217, I need information about how to set up the curve on the desktop, because i can't find a manual for setting , i mean for all the function on the menu.

I already try to set up the curve but for transfer to CDI or Save on Pc how come ?

If somebody can help me please reply this message

Thanks

ANDY K

Hello Andy,
    To understand the features of the software for the 4217 you may try the "help" tab at the top left hand corner of the page. Is there one thing in particular on the menu tree you have questions on or is it the whole thing in general? If you are having problems communicating with the ignition from your PC and vice versa there are a few things you can check for: The ignition must have power to it to communicate. You might also check to make sure you are using the correct COM port- one that is available on your PC. Let me know about the menu tree if the "help" section of the software does not provide any answers to your questions. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

torque Guest

Thank you for your info, i need info about TPS, my carburator didn't use TPS so how can i set up ? i already ask it is ok if i didn't use TPS sensor but i think i must turn off the signal right how come ?

and one more thing about can i set up my cdi if cdi didn't connect to motorcycle. I mean now ,not yet set my cdi to my motorcycle. i want to try first to program the curve.

THANKS

If your carburetor does not have a TPS sensor then this feature will not be utilized which means if the wires are not connected it will not function. Keep in mind though that if you are not using this feature then the closed throttle graph must be used. As far as programming the ignition off the bike this can be done simply by supplying 12 volts to the ignition during transfer of data from your PC to ignition. The ignition will retain any information you save into it once power is removed. Thanks again, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech

torque Guest

Thanks tomorrow I'll try to my motorcycle.