Thread: which rpm switch for a 2 stroke

genesmob Guest

Default which rpm switch for a 2 stroke

I need an rpm switch for a newer efi 2 cylinder, stroke engine. which rpm switch will read the correct rpm for this application. I set my digital tach on the 6 pulse setting so it reads correct rpm. My engine has a stock ignition system with an ecu that controls the efi and ignition and I dont want to change the entire ignition system. Thanks

msdtech22 Guest

This question is better answered by our PowerSports division, your answer should show up shortly.

Are you going to be turning something on and off or just on? If your looking for a RPM window switch that will turn on and then off the 8969 would be the one to use.

Thank you

genesmob Guest

Thanks for the quick answer. I only need an rpm switch to turn on above a certain rpm but not shut off so I dont need a window switch. What rpm switch would be able to read the rpm for this type of motor? thanks.

genesmob Guest

I should explain what Im doing with this. I want to use the rpm switch with a relay to the ignition switch to create a launch rpm control. Others have done this by wiring the relay through a VDO tach shift light, however, I dont want to use a VDO tach. I dont think the MSD 8969 would work for this because it has a 200 rpm spread between turning on and off. Im looking for an instant on-off rpm switch or perhaps an adjustable rpm launch control that would work with the stock ignition system. Thanks.

Can you please let me know what kind of engine you are using and what kind of racing.

Thank you
    MSD Powersports

genesmob Guest

The engine that Im using is an arctic cat f1000 efi 2 cylinder, 2stroke snowmobile engine. This engine is manufactured by Suzuki and has 4 coils with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Suzuki started manufacturing this engine in 2006/2007, It is used in F 1000, Crossfire 1000 and M 1000 model snowmobiles from Arctic cat. I would like to use the launch control for drag racing. Thanks.

genesmob Guest

The engine also has a flywheel with 2 magnets attatched to it 180 degrees apart for the ignition pickup. Thanks.

msdtech22 Guest

Again, this question has been forwarded to our PowerSports division. Expect an answer shortly.

The only system we will have for your application is the Multi Channel 42351 igntion. This has been used on snowmbiles and has the two step control built in. The only thing is you would need to build a new flywheel and trigger plate to run this system. If you would like to see the system please go to your web page at www.msdpowersports.com.

Thank you