Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Learn Issue - Holley HP

Bringing this thread back around. I took the car out today for a little bit of tuning. I have my Learn and Closed Loop activating at 1250 rpm. My low speed Learning was working and it was pulling fuel out in the cruise area of the table. When I leaned on it a little bit and started making boost, the car broke up and I lifted. When I got back home and looked at the log, my CL Compensation hit 70%. When I go to look at the Learn Table, it doesn't show any compensation in that area of the table. Am I missing something here? I'm having another odd issue but I'll start another thread to discuss that.

I missed that there was another update, so thinking there may just be a glitch. I updated the system from 2.1.0 build 5 to the latest 2.2.0 build 3. I just did this a few minutes ago, so I haven't logged anything since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick90lx View Post
    When I got back home and looked at the log, my CL Compensation hit 70%. When I go to look at the Learn Table, it doesn't show any compensation in that area of the table. Am I missing something here?
    It Learns at all RPM, provided the Learn Parameters are programmed as such. Are the Learned Compensation Limits set in that area?
    Is the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % or A/F Ratio Offset still active? These must be at 100% & zero to enter Learn mode.
    You may need to reconfigure these tables if you're running the engine colder than what the base calibration specifies.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    It Learns at all RPM, provided the Learn Parameters are programmed as such. Are the Learned Compensation Limits set in that area?
    Is the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % or A/F Ratio Offset still active? These must be at 100% & zero to enter Learn mode.
    You may need to reconfigure these tables if you're running the engine colder than what the base calibration specifies.
    Yes, I double checked that this afternoon when I read that on page 1 of this thread.
    Also, the Learned Compensation Limits on the entire curve are 150%.
    Last edited by Rick90lx; 11-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Well, something is causing the Learning to stop at 4000 RPM.
    I believe your Coolant Temperature Enrichment is set properly,
    but does the engine temperature drop at that point?
    Are the Closed Loop Compensation Limits set in that area?
    Are there any RPM Errors? Does a datalog reveal anything?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog Info)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

No, the engine temps stay pretty solid. I am getting some heat soak on my MAT sensor as I left it in lower intake manifold. Cruising in the 2250-2500 rpm range I see roughly 120 degrees MAT temps, as I accelerate but stay out of boost it drops to roughly 105 and stays that way through short pulls in the 10s of boost range. I'm certain those temps will begin to rise if I'm in boost longer than 2-3 seconds at a time. At that point I'll be adding the meth injection to keep the IAT in check.

Closed loop is still set at 100% in those areas. I did drop the Compensation Limits in the cruise areas of the table because they are pretty steady.

I haven't checked for any RPM Errors, I have been datalogging everything but have yet to record a system log. I set it up last night to activate off of a TPS trigger so the next time I take it out I'll be able to pull it up.
    Last edited by Rick90lx; 11-12-2013 at 02:25 AM.

No, the engine temps stay pretty solid. I am getting some heat soak on my MAT sensor as I left it in lower intake manifold.
    You probably already know this, but the Air Temperature Enrichment scale doesn't need to be 100% for Learning to occur.

I haven't checked for any RPM Errors, I have been datalogging everything but have yet to record a system log.
    I'm very curious as to what's causing the Learning to stop at 4000 RPM.
    Even a regular Datalog will be helpful and indicate RPM Errors:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog Info)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Well, something is causing the Learning to stop at 4000 RPM.
    ...but does the engine temperature drop at that point?
    I'm curious, I can't find it now but is it written somewhere that Learning won't occur unless the engine is over a certain temp? I had my cooling fan activating at 165 degrees, not knowing how well this new system was going to cool. Usually the car would warm up in the 180 range while idling, but cooled off some while driving. I'm wondering if while driving down the road, it's cooling off enough to disable Learning. Just a thought.

I'm curious, I can't find it now but is it written somewhere that Learning won't occur unless the engine is over a certain temp?
    Read my post #2 in this thread.

I'm wondering if while driving down the road, it's cooling off enough to disable Learning. Just a thought.
    That's the point of my "temperature drop" statement. Sometimes at higher RPM, the water pump speed can drive the coolant temperature down. If it cools down below the 100% Coolant Temperature Enrichment or zero A/F Ratio Offset set point, Learning is disabled. You may need to reconfigure these tables if you're running the engine colder than what the base calibration specifies.

OK, took another look at it and didn't see anything that looked off to me. Here's a screen shot of my Coolant Temp Enrichment Tables.

Weather dropped into the teens and I don't have a great base tune in the car so my cold weather startup has been a bear. Combine that with a tiny battery with no reserve and you've got a recipe for frustration. I may be waiting for warmer weather to make any more progress.

FYI: Average cruising temps on the drive with no compensation beyond 4000 rpm was 154° with a max of 170°.
    Last edited by Rick90lx; 11-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast