Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Learn Issue - Holley HP

Yes. Ford TFI. Are you thinking the TFI module maybe?

I have a MSD Pro Billet TFI somewhere...I'll put it in tomorrow and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gmslayer View Post
    Yes. Ford TFI. Are you thinking the TFI module maybe?
    Yes, I'd definitely start there. You may also want to replace the Hall-Effect PIP sensor inside the distributor too.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Get this....I removed the distributor and was installing the MSD distributor and started looking at the one I removed...
    The dist cap has a center button that the rotor tang rides on...it was MISSING!!!
    I looked inside of the distributor that I removed, and there was the darn thing!
    Hopefully that was the issue, I will install the new distributor on Monday and I will update you.
    Do you think that would cause my issues???

Do you think that would cause my issues???
    I suppose it's possible that it was interfering with the PIP sensor.
    Also, the increased spark energy (required to jump that missing gap) creates excessive electrical noise.
    Either way, the distributor was the problem, and you found something. Can't have broken parts flying around inside!
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I swapped out my distributor. This corrected the no rev past 4K rpm issue...
    My tach and MSD LED light are flickering a bit.
    I emailed you my global folder and data log from tonight's session.
    Can you take a look and let me know what you see? Thanks!
    Last edited by gmslayer; 09-18-2012 at 08:27 PM.

I emailed you my global folder and data log from tonight's session. Can you take a look and let me know what you see?
    This data log looks much better.
    No RPM Errors and the Learning is functioning as it should.
    The RPM line is wavy at times. Was that you throttling?

...my tach and MSD LED light are flickering a bit.
    Check your injector wiring harness:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ith-Holley-EFI

Does this only happen at idle?
    What size camshaft (dur.@.050")?
    You may want to increase the idle timing.
    Your idle IAC Position is always at zero.
    Adjust idle speed screw to achieve about 3% IAC Position at hot idle.

I was throttling and the flickering is only visible at idle.
    I will adj the idle speed screw as you noted and update you tonight
    (along with the cam specs, they are not with me at the moment).

Thank you for all of your help!

...and the flickering is only visible at idle.
    I thought so. Remember to check your fuel injector harness:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ith-Holley-EFI

I never use less than 20° of timing advance at idle.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (Target A/F Ratio Table & Base Timing Table Reference)
    Did you synchronize the ignition timing when you replaced the TFI distributor?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI

You'll need to close your throttle blades a little bit (idle speed screw).
    Remember to preform another TPS Autoset after adjusting the idle position.

Injector harness was correct...
    I synced the distributor tonight...
    Corrected the throttle blades.
    I double checked all connections.
    I bumped the idle timing up some too.
    The tach is still flickering real bad, could the white wire from the TFI harness be too close to another wire (coil wire or battery wire) causing interference? This is driving me nuts...
    Last edited by gmslayer; 09-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.

I don't know if electrical interference is your problem,
    but ensure you don't have any signal wires near high voltage wiring/components.

I reviewed your datalog, and noticed two things:
    1) While the Learning self-tunes the Fuel Table, you must drive in a steady-state fashion.
    Hold each RPM/kPa point steady (as many as possible), for several seconds.
    You're not allowing the Learning enough time to function at times.
    2) Periodically, your ignition timing is as low as 11°. Probably not enough.

It's most likely still too lean and may require more timing advance (not WOT).
    Read pages 4-10 of this Edelbrock EFI tuning manual, it's very good:
    https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3.amazon...ers-manual.pdf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast