Thread: MSD products for mileage...?

Red Guest

Thumbs up MSD products for mileage...?

My '92 Chev w/350 throttle body truck has need of MSD's touch for increased mileage. Am considering a 6A to start, but what about the coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires? At 3 bucks a gallon, the old girl can use the help!!! Thanks, Red.

ASE Master Guest

you can spend the bucks to have the cool looking stuff, but I bet if you compared your mileage all tuned up w/ AC Delco stuff (platinum plugs) and afterward with MSD stuff, I bet you wouldn't notice a nickels difference on a stock engine. This is in no way to say MSD ignition is inferior, but the HEI stuff you have stock is pretty hot spark comparitively.
    I'd think a good tune up, new o2 sensor(s), regular use of Redline SI-1 fuel cleaner and switch to Redline synthetic oil would give you some good bang for the buck.
    Some exhaust headers such as Hedman Tork-Step and some low restriction cat back exhaust (Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc) could give some mileage/ performance gains you would feel.

msdtech22 Guest

Thanks for the input ASE Master.