Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank Trigger Wheel Question

texasss Guest

Default Crank Trigger Wheel Question

I bought the crank trigger P/N 8640 for a SBF 351W. My 351W has the "B" Timing Tab (11 o'clock). I can not get my timing set at 36°. I run out of adjustment on my mount going clockwise. I could only get it set at 37°. I move the wheel around one hole and still can't get it where I need it. Am I missing something here? Any help would be appreciated.

msdtech16 Guest

Do this:
    1- Rotate the engine to your total timing on the# 1 compression stroke.
    2- At your total timing align the pick up with a magnet on the wheel.
    3- At this point set your distributor into the engine block and make sure the rotor points to your #1 terminal on your distributor cap.
    This should take care of your problem.

texasss Guest

This is exactly what I'm doing. I can't get the magnet on the wheel to line up where I want my total timing (36°). I run out of adjustment. I have tried different holes on the wheel as well and can not get the magnet set on the total timing that I want. I can get it very close, probably around 37°, but this is with the pickup adjusted all the way clockwise. This leaves absolutely no room to retard the timing. I move the wheel one bolt hole counterclockwise without any success as well. I hope I'm missing something here, but I have went over it many times with the same result each time.

msdtech16 Guest

The wheel has three positions, make sure you are setting it with the pointer @ 36° and not @ 0°.

texasss Guest

First I verified TDC with my ATI Damper. It is at 11 o'clock. It is a "B" Timing Tab 4 Hole Damper. I turned my crank to 36° on the timing pointer. I try to adjust my trigger, but can not get the magnet lined up with the trigger. I can't move the wheel around to any other bolt holes to align the trigger on any of the magnets. Any suggestions?

msdtech16 Guest

Unfortunately, we have not run into this problem, so we do not have an answer for you.

texasss Guest

Thanks for your time.

msdtech16 Guest

We're looking into this, sorry did not post this. We will post as soon as we have something.

msdtech16 Guest

After further research all we came up with is that you'll need to elongate the bracket. For some reason or other, this does not happen with all 351W.

I realize this is an old thread, but I had this problem and maybe someone will benefit from my solution.

It's now 2020 and they still have not fixed this problem. For my 351W, I had the same problem and came here looking for a solution. Ended up drilling four additional mounting holes in the magnet plate.

The problem is that there are three locations to mount the plate (30 degree rotation of the plate for each different position), but only 25° of adjustment for the sensor in its bracket. If your timing/trigger falls in that 5° zone, you're out of luck.

Drilling four additional holes allowed me to rotate the engine plate 15°, which then allowed me to move the sensor to where I needed it.

Design error, plain & simple. 14 years later and it still isn’t fixed. I guess enough of us haven’t complained about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast