Thread: Dial Back Timing Lights

jraustin50 Guest

Post Dial Back Timing Lights

The use of a dial back timing light is usually discouraged by MSD techs. Recently an Equus 5568 light was OK. I have a Actron CP7519, is this OK? Is there a problem with the dial back lights in general? As in digital control versus a knob?

Eric David Bru Guest

You don't want a timing light with adjustable advance, the multiple sparks on a the MSD confuse them.

I would get the 7527, if you want an Equus. I bought a Craftsman.

After further review, the Equus model did have digital advance capability, so no, I wouldn't buy that one. On another thread, the MSD tech indicated that the engineers were testing it so it MIGHT be OK.

Actron http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=259

msdtech21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jraustin50
    The use of a dial back timing light is usually discouraged by MSD techs. Recently an Equus 5568 light was OK. I have a Actron CP7519, is this OK? Is there a problem with the dial back lights in general? As in digital control versus a knob?
    The dial back lights usually cannot interpet the signal from an msd unit through the spark plug wires and will not allow you to check the timing accurately.

jraustin50 Guest

Default Next step

Taking this a set further. My goal was to achieve full advance timing. This is done well above the 3000rpm point were the MSD no longer produces multiple sparks. Would a dial back be any more accurate at this higher rpm?

Since I don't want to cook a piston I will use my MSD timing light and wait until hear about your testing on the Equus.

msdtech21 Guest

Unfortunately the dial back timing lights cannot interpet the signal under 3000 RPM because you are getting 2-3 sparks for each cylinder. The problem at higher RPM is that it is still 1 spark, but it's a longer duration spark. The dial back timing lights usually will not give you an accurate timing readout regardless of RPM.

strokercamaro Guest

Default craftsman light

I was told twice this week that my craftsman light is not going to work? Old style non dial back light, this was told to me by an MSD tech that I talked to on the phone. After installing a new 85551 pro billet...old HEI was worn, I now have to set my timing 10 degrees higher to get the same performance. This was verified by rebuilding my old hei and using the same 6al box and reinstalling the hei and setting the timing where I have always had it and everything is ok now. Am I missing something? Forgot to add that both dist. are locked out also..

msdtech21 Guest

The problem with most name brand timing lights is that they have a dial back option or a digital read out that is not compatible with our equipment. We recommend a basic, no thrills or frills, inductive pick up timing light. If your setting your timing way out to get it to run correctly, that is a good indication that the signal is not being interpreted correctly by the timing light.