Thread: Header torque specs problem.

gmcgaurn Guest

Default Header torque specs problem.

So I started my truck up this afternoon and realized that there is a massive header leak coming from both headers. Well I went to try to retorque the header bolts, and just like when I originally installed them I can only torque about 2 bolts on each header and can barely get a boxed wrench on them because of the tubes. Is this normal and or is there a way or special tool to use so that I can torque them properly? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Gmcgaurn, yes, with headers you normally cannot torque the header bolts. Like you said the header tubes are too close for anything other than a open end wrench. What you will have to do is tighten the bolts the best you can. Try running the bolts down with a wrench until they start to become tight and then go a half turn. This normally works for me. Also putting red RTV on the threads will help a lot. Thanks, Eric H.

Also, make sure your header bolts are long enough to utilize most of the available threads.
    I usually need to order custom length header bolts from ARP.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

gmcgaurn Guest

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I will def try the sealant on the threads, and I may have to buy new bolts, I don't think the one's that came with the hooker headers are long enough. Also, is it a possibility that the flanges need to be milled?

No, there is no need to mill the flanges. Thanks, Eric H