Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnetic & Hall-Effect Crank/Cam Sensor Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Gravensg View Post
    Distributor is cam sync only, CNP/COP using LS2 coils.
    I am using a stock GM configuration, the crank reference is 4 lobes...all OEM.
    OK, I understand your dilemma now. You're running a GM Gen VI "1 pulse/fire" (OEM) crank trigger, but can't adjust the crank sensor position because it's cast into the timing cover and the trigger wheel is keyed to the crankshaft. So you're forced to use the Ignition Reference Angle for alignment. Apparently, the GM Gen VI Ignition Reference Angle is 90°, but the Holley EFI manual states not to set it higher than 75°. I'm not familiar with this particular situation, so my advice is call or contact Holley Tech Service (Link) if we don't receive an answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravensg View Post
    Any idea on what is the down fall of a CRA number > 75. Car runs good, making 650 on the dyno but wanted to figure out what if anything I am going to hurt.
    The Holley manual may state that for other LSx engines. If your timing is fully synchronized with a 90° Ignition Reference Angle, then it's good and it can't hurt anything.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I've read this post over & over, and the manual, but I'm still unclear how to install my crank trigger & cam sync.

302, HP EFI, LSx coils, Ford Explorer cam sync (3-wire), Innovators West 4 magnet balancer & Holley crank sensor.
    I've got no balancer installed yet, no cam sync installed yet. What are the steps I need to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
    I've read this post over & over, and the manual, but I'm still unclear how to install my crank trigger & cam sync.
    You'll probably need someone to help you.

302, HP EFI, LSx coils, Ford Explorer cam sync (3-wire), Innovators West 4 magnet balancer & Holley crank sensor.
    I've got no balancer installed yet, no cam sync installed yet. What are the steps I need to follow?
    For your application, follow steps 1.2 & 2.1.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK, today I had some time to figure this out, see if my pics/explanation look correct.

1) I found TDC, used a piston stop/tool to find exact TDC, rotated on compression stroke until reached TDC, then rotated the other way, split the difference and put pointer to 0°.

2) Rotated engine to 60° BTDC, moved crank sensor mount so it now is inline with one of the magnets.

3) Rotated engine to 195° BTDC, put cam sync in with arrow on the cam sync tool pointed straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
    2) Rotated engine to 60° BTDC, moved crank sensor mount so it now is inline with one of the magnets.
    3) Rotated engine to 195° BTDC, put cam sync in with arrow on the cam sync tool pointed straight forward.
    Yes, that's what the instructions state.
    You don't need the OEM cam sync sensor tool. The alignment tool isn't used for an aftermarket (Holley) EFI system.
    Align the trailing end of the semicircular vane (in the direction of rotation), with the center of the Hall-Effect sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, that seems like what the instructions state.
    You don't need the cam sensor tool; just position the falling edge
    of the semi-circular reluctor in the center of the Hall-Effect sensor.
    Hi Danny, is this what you mean?

Name:  IMG_09802.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  20.1 KB

Bigger image here: https://goo.gl/photos/WreatimmSjDmnNgr5
    Last edited by viciousride; 01-17-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by viciousride View Post
    Hi Danny, is this what you mean?
    Yes, the falling edge in the direction of its rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, the falling edge in the direction of its rotation.
    Turning clockwise, here's the falling edge of the reluctor centered in the window, which also corresponds to the center of the cam sensor when the cap is bolted back on. Cam sensor is installed at 195° BTDC on cylinder #1. Is this all correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg 
Views:	1116 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1487

Quote Originally Posted by viciousride View Post
    Turning clockwise, here's the falling edge of the reluctor centered in the window...
    If that cam sensor's semi-circular reluctor turns clockwise, then that's the rising edge, not the falling edge.

Oops, my mistake. Engine turns clockwise, cam sensor reluctor turns counter-clockwise. So in current position, the reluctor edge will be rotating counter-clockwise passing the sensor "beam", and thus digital falling. Thanks!