Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnetic & Hall-Effect Crank/Cam Sensor Setup

mhinchley Guest

On the Corral, a guy is telling me not to run the AEM EPM because there were problems with it. So I guess I need some clarity with modifying my current distributor. See if I can figure it out through the links you gave me. I have settled on the Holley DIS for sure, just how is the issue. The Ford explorer distributor is just a drop in and that will give me the signal? Heck that may be my best bet?
    Last edited by mhinchley; 09-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mhinchley View Post
    So I guess I need some clarity with modifying my current distributor. See if I can figure it out through the links you gave me.
    Yes, read the link I posted above. However, for DIS & CNP/COP, the conversion is much easier than what's outlined in that link:
    There's no need to modify the reluctor with a setscrew (so it can rotate independently on the shaft).
    This adjustability isn't necessary because the cap & rotor are eliminated, so there's no #1 terminal rotor phasing.
    Simply cut off any 7 of the 8 reluctor teeth, and fabricate a cover to take the place of the discarded cap, adapter & rotor.
    Here's how my finished cam sync looks:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....al-EFI-Upgrade

I have settled on the Holley DIS for sure, just how is the issue.
    Just to be clear, you can use the Holley DIS with an MSD crank trigger or a 60-2 crank trigger.
    Holley also has universal 60-2 trigger wheels available, for custom crank trigger kit installations.
    Here's how I made my custom 60-2 crank trigger kit:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....nk-Trigger-Kit

The Ford Explorer distributor is just a drop-in and that will give me the signal? Heck that may be my best bet?
    According to this thread below, Dennis Moore (64duece) of Moore Racecraft, ran
    the Ford Explorer Hall-Effect cam sync on a scope, and declared it acceptable:
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=484027 (YellowBullet.com thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

mhinchley Guest

I have talked to several Honda and Mustang guys over 800whp that are running the AEM EPM, and am again considering using it for both sensors. All do it with an AEM Computer, though I think one was using BS3. Being a 24x / 24 & 1 setup, if I do this with the Holley, must I then run CNP setup or can you use this with the Holley DIS Coils? I know I can't make up my mind here...but collecting as much info as I can before I send out any money. Worst case if it does not work to my liking, then I buy the MSD Crank Trigger and just used the AEM for the cam signal.
    Last edited by mhinchley; 09-04-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Being a 24x / 24 & 1 setup, if I do this with the Holley, must I then run CNP setup or can you use this with the Holley DIS Coils?
    Yes, the Holley DIS & CNP/COP can be used interchangeably, in reference to the trigger type.
    Before purchasing the AEM EPM, confirm that it's a "GM LSx 24 tooth" type crank sensor signal.

UPDATE
    : The AEM EPM 24 pulse crank signal is not compatible with Holley EFI:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....3780#post13780

Personally, I'd always use a crank trigger kit...once you do, you'll never go back to a cam driven crank signal (distributor).
    You can have an MSD Flying Magnet crank trigger kit, for $50 less than the AEM EPM and easily convert your existing distributor to a cam sync.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

mhinchley Guest

OK. Gonna take your word for it. I see you all over the net, so I know you are well versed here.
    I picked up a used AEM EPM for $125, so there is my cam sensor cheap.
    Just gonna order the MSD Flying Magnet and Holley DIS coils and go from there. Thanks.

Just gonna order the MSD Flying Magnet and Holley DIS coils and go from there. Thanks.
    Since you're holding me accountable for using a crank trigger, I should mention one last detail:
    "Another advantage to using a 60-2 crank trigger kit with sequential injection & waste-spark DIS, is the ability to run the engine solely off of it, if the cam sync sensor fails. If you have a laptop computer* with you, enter the Ignition Parameters and change the Cam Sensor type to "Not Used" (non-sequential mode), and continue on your way. A nice emergency capability, that's not possible with a conventional 4x crank trigger (such as an MSD Flying Magnet kit)."
    * FYI: The 3.5" & 5.7" LCD Touchscreens can also change Global Folders (create a non-sequential emergency GF), by storing them on the SD Card. And now the Digital Dash is also capable of storing/changing Global Files, except it's stored on a USB flash drive.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....nk-Trigger-Kit (The above statement is an excerpt from my forum thread.)

mhinchley Guest

Cool. I never take the car too far from home unless it is on my trailer with a winch. I prefer the ease of install at the moment. I'm actually an aerospace machinist, but have so much work in front of me for the foreseeable future, time is of the essence.

496, BBC Gen VI, one pulse per fire, cam sync from distributor. CNP

So, in the instructions - 1.2, it states do not place a crank reference angle (CRA) > 75. If I do this my timing no longer coincides to the ECU requested timing. However, if I put 90 in the CRA the ECU asks for 10 degrees and 10 is what I get. I can move the dist. Here, there and anywhere in between till it dies and never get the timing make to move. If I place 75 in the CRA, I need to put 0 in the ECU in the timing window to get 15 degrees on my light.

Any idea on what is the down fall of a CRA number > 75. Car runs good, making 650 on the dyno but wanted to figure out what if anything I am going to hurt. Oh, if your cylinder correct it works as designed. Cheers

I need more information:
    Are you using a distributor for cam sync only?
    Are you using a crank trigger kit? If so, OEM?
    Is the crank sensor Hall-Effect or magnetic?
    CRA? Do you mean Ignition Reference Angle?

Distributor is cam sync only, CNP/COP using LS2 coils.
    I am using a stock GM configuration, the crank reference is 4 lobes...all OEM.

Hall-Effect, I think FAST calls it CRA, or how far away is #1 from TDC.
    I guess I still have some translation issues to work on.
    Sorry about the grammar, Apple likes to decide for you if you're not paying attention.