Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Magnetic & Hall-Effect Crank/Cam Sensor Setup

I was running V5 and the Firing Order was changed in the EFI software according to the directions. It was running well, so I assume it's correct. Eliminating the need to alter the Firing Order requirement says for "some" unusual applications. I believe to have to remove one magnet out of the wheel. I want to make sure I set this up correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sync.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	10594
    Using a 36-1 on a SBC and the cam sync distributor. I set my engine at TDC of compression stroke. Crank sensor is at the gap between the 6th & 7th tooth (no adjustment). Crank sensor in Holley is set to 6th tooth and Digital Falling (Hall-Effect). Then count clockwise 11 teeth from the missing teeth, make a mark. Rotate backwards so my crank sensor lines up with that mark. Then I set my cam sync as pictured. It shows 12 volts just as the sensor becomes uncovered. I set it to Digital Falling edge in Holley EFI software. Set Static Timing at 12° crank. It lines up. turn off Static Timing Set test and crank and it shows the 15° commanded, but then goes to 8° after a few revolutions. First question. Is this setup right? Why would the timing change from 15° to 8° while in startup cranking? All plugs are out of the engine except #1. The rest are resting on frame (possible interference)?

I did see just now that the 36-1 calls for Digital Rising instead of Digital Falling. I'm using the Holley sensor, but not the Holley wheel/bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The 12-1 Crank Sensor Type is for a missing tooth trigger wheel (ferrous steel target).
    Its also for missing magnet trigger wheel.

UPDATE: The new V4+ EFI software allows the Ignition Reference Angle to be changed from −360° to +360° BTDC on #1
    cylinder. This also eliminates the requirement to alter the Firing Order in Ignition Parameters for some unusual applications.
    Can you explain changing the Ignition Reference Angle from -360° to +360°? I understand how to change the Ignition Reference Angle in the EFI software to make the timing on the balancer match what the ECU is commanding.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011