Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic & Hall-Effect Crank/Cam Sensor Setup

Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
    So anything external go to battery ground. Thanks.
    EDIT: Oh, you said "external", so battery ground would be fine in that application.
    Not necessarily. Read first paragraph again:

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Crank & Cam Sensor Wiring Tips:
    The 10-pin Ignition Connector has one "Chassis Ground" (loose black wire ground) and two "IPU Grounds" (clean ECU ground). Don't use "Chassis Ground" to ground an ignition module (or crank & cam sensors). It's quick & easy to move the ignition module ground wire from (cavity) pin D "Chassis Ground" to pin C or G "IPU Ground", where it should be.

If you don't have the actual Metri-Pack terminal release tool, a "safety pin" will work.
    It just needs to be a stiff wire between .030"-.035" in diameter to release the terminal tab.
    Then reopen (bend) the terminal tab before reinsertion, so it will clip (lock) into the cavity.
    http://www.whiteproducts.com/removal_tools.shtml (T-6 Micro Terminal Release Pick Tool)

Also, don't use (cavity) pin E "Switched +12V" from the 10-pin Ignition Connector, to power an ignition module (or crank & cam sensors), unless you've modified the wiring source to connect from pin B20 - EST 12V Output (P1B ECU Connector). This LINK explains why & how to do it.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual, Sections 2.1 "Pin-Outs" & 13.0 "Wiring Appendix")
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Just had some questions on installing an MSD 85141 BBC CAM Sync Plug. Is the follow statement for page one still correct:
    "If the crank sensor is setup such that the 10th tooth after the missing teeth is at TDC,
    position the cam sensor such that it's between 110°−250° before TDC on cylinder #1.
    This will create a proper position."

I've installed the Holley 556-111 BB Chevy Crank Trigger Kit (60-2 wheel) and it does line up with the 10th tooth. Are the settings in the pic correct for my setup:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ignition pic.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	7760
    Last edited by chuck0379; 01-12-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck0379 View Post
    Just had some questions on installing an MSD 85141 BBC CAM Sync Plug. Is the follow statement for page one still correct:
    Yes.

I've installed the Holley 556-111 BB Chevy Crank Trigger Kit (60-2 wheel) and it does line up with the 10th tooth. Are the settings in the pic correct for my setup:
    Yes, although you'll have to adjust the Inductive Delay (LINK) later.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. I'll look into the link as well.

I have the MSD 2362 dual sync distributor. Can Someone tell me what color wire from the crank pickup goes to the crank input of the HP? Same for the cam sensor? I have no spark at this point and need to verify wiring from the distributor to the Holley HP connector. Next is there a way to check the white signal wire to the MSD 6AL2? What kind of output should it send? Last, how to check my 6AL2 to see if it works? It quit and I sent it in for repairs, but have not used it until now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wywindsor View Post
    I have the MSD 2362 dual sync distributor. Can Someone tell me what color wire from the crank pickup goes to the crank input of the HP? Same for the cam sensor?
    I don't know anything about that distributor. Contact MSD Tech Service (LINK).

Last, how to check my 6AL2 to see if it works?
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & Magnetic Pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)

Ensure the distributor's rotor-phasing is correct:
    http://documents.msdperformance.com/8644_tb.pdf (MSD Rotor-Phasing Document)
    MSD has a good video on why it's important:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM (MSD Tech Rotor-Phasing Video)

For naturally aspirated engines, the rotor is usually phased halfway between minimum & maximum amount of timing advance used.
    For forced induction engines, the rotor is usually phased at maximum boost retard, because that's when cylinder pressure is the greatest.

I spoke with MSD and Holley both today. Here's what I have. MSD 2362 Cam Sync wiring Cam sync. Magnetic crank sensor and Hall-Effect cam sensor.
    Crank Sensor:
    Black/orange + signal to Holley HP pin A30 terminal connection A
    Black/purple − to Holley HP pin A14 terminal connection C
    Cam Sensor:
    Red 12V + to Holley HP A10 connection E
    Black 12V − to Holley A14 connection G
    Green signal to Holley A22 connection B

Does this seem right? I have no reason not believe this. It may have led to the no spark issue I have. I wired the black/org and the black/purple opposite.

Why aren't you using an EFI distributor with two Hall-Effect (crank & cam) sensors? In my opinion, if a Holley EFI user isn't familiar with the Magnetic Ignition Type "Minimum Signal Voltage" & "Filtering" parameters (in System Parameters/Engine Parameters/Ignition), then they have no business using a magnetic pickup type distributor. This is the problem with a magnetic pickup distributor, there's more tuning work/adjustment involved. Hall-Effect sensors are "set & forget", very easy to use. So they should purchase the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor. It's also plug & play into the Holley EFI main harness.

The more robust Hall-Effect sensors are preferred because they're not susceptible to EMI/RFI interference/noise,
    and their digital square-wave signal strength is consistent, regardless of RPM (unlike the VR magnetic sine-wave).
    Also, the VR magnetic pickup signal is weaker at cranking speeds.

Another problem with using VR Magnetic sensors, is there's more tuning work. Hall-Effect is "set & forget".
    This sensor topic has been discussed many times. Use Hall-Effect sensors. Using a magnetic pickup sensor
    involves the hassle of reading a System Log and its "Crank A/D" channel to determine the optimum value.
    The VR Magnetic Sensor Type "Minimum Signal Voltage" & "Filtering" parameters need to be programmed.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10676rev.pdf (Magnetic Crank/Cam Input Filtering Parameters, Page 2)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4450#post54450 (Example: Wrong Magnetic Parameters, Post #25)

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
    VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
    http://www.electronicproducts.com/El...g_for_you.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)

Hi all. I'm trying to setup the ignition settings on a 427 V8 with an MSD Digital 6AL box and MSD Pro Billet distributor 8578 and an MSD Blaster SS coil. I have wired it up as per the diagram below. Do I just follow the setup as in the 1st page of this sticky? I.E.: CUSTOM, MAGNETIC, etc? Thanks for any reply. Andy

Name:	magnetic crank pickup 8.6.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	8811
    Here's the engine!

Name:	IMG_20190710_194154.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	8812
    Is this correct?

Name:	ign software setup.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	8813

No one can answer your Custom Ignition Parameters question. Read post #88 directly above your post to learn why.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast