Thread: Which EFI to buy

swhsah Guest

Default Which EFI to buy

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to purchase either the HOLLEY AVENGER EFI SYSTEM #550-811 or the HOLLEY HP EFI SYSTEM #550-810. What I am concerned with is sequential fire. I have read here via search that the only two systems that have that capability are the HP and Dominator systems. I want sequential fire but also love the package of the avenger system. If the avenger system has sequential fire I will purchase that system. If not I will purchase the Hp system and piece it together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from a newbie here
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by swhsah View Post
    What I am concerned with is sequential fire. I have read here via search that the only two systems that have that capability are the HP and Dominator systems.
    All three of Holley's EFI systems (Avenger, HP & Dominator) are capable of sequential injection.
    With the Avenger EFI, you'll need to access this parameter with a laptop computer.

If not I will purchase the Hp system and piece it together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The HP EFI is not "pieced together". It simply requires the 'fuel injectors & fuel pump' purchased separately for the application.

The Avenger & HP use the same ECU and wire harness. When you connect a laptop computer to an Avenger ECU, it becomes an HP EFI system. Without the laptop, the Avenger's hand-held controller asks several questions about your particular application, and configures a base engine file for you. An HP EFI requires you to do this yourself with a laptop computer. Also, the Avenger's hand-held controller serves as a great little data monitor. Both units use the same software, same data logger, same four Inputs & Outputs and have the outstanding self-tuning Fuel Table feature. The only difference between the Avenger & HP ECU is the decal.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

swhsah Guest

First let me thank you for your lightning fast response. I have one last question, to run sequential settings does this system require a Dual Sync distributor for cam timing or does the small cap GM HEI still work?

Thanks again, Scott
    Last edited by swhsah; 08-10-2012 at 03:55 PM.

I have one last question, to run sequential settings does this system require a Dual Sync distributor for cam timing or does the small cap GM still work?
    The small-cap GM HEI does not support sequential injection. You'll need a dual-sync distributor, such as a FAST unit.
    Or, install a crank trigger (such as Holley's DIS or MSD's Flying Magnet) with a cam sync sensor from EFI Connection.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 08-11-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

swhsah Guest

Is the data cable just a USB cable on both ends to communicate with the ECU? I see what looks like a USB in the photo for the HP 810 part number and not the Avenger 811 photo.

Thanks, Scott

Is the data cable just a USB cable on both ends to communicate with the ECU?
    You just need a typical mini USB cable from a digital camera/video game system, etc.
    It's a mini-USB on the ECU end, and a standard USB for the laptop end.
    I'm not using Holley's, but theirs is nice because it secures to the ECU case.
    I simply wire-tied my USB cable to the main harness (allowing a little slack), so it doesn't vibrate out.

Holley's 558-409 USB cable:

swhsah Guest

Thank you so much for the information! You have answered all my questions and I can now search for the best price for the kit!

Thanks again
    Scott

Thank you so much for the information! You have answered all my questions and can now search for the best price for the kit!
    You're welcome. If I may suggest:
    http://mooreracecraft.com/
    http://modernspeed.net/