Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Synchronizing Ignition Timing - Holley EFI

Quote Originally Posted by KrashEd View Post
    When I checked timing, I was still at 10°, revved the engine, at 10°, could not get it to move to 28° (or 25° or 30°). The software confirmed static timing was set for 28°, and I was "Online" with the ECU.
    You must have done something wrong with the EFI software "Enable Static Timing Set".
    Did you enter 28° and click "Set"? (I think it's "Set"...I haven't done it in a while.)
    10° is the "Ignition Reference Angle", not necessarily the timing advance at idle.

After changing the Inductive Delay value, click "Save" and cycle the key off-on.
    The engine must be shut off & restarted each time you change the Inductive Delay.
    Step 2 of the Timing Synchronization instructions above, is clear on this procedure.

The software confirms the setting in the dialog box at whatever it's set to, and I have to close the box if I want to view any parameters, so I'm fairly certain it accepts the setting. In my attempts to get this to work, noticed the "Enable Static Timing Set" is a live setting and it won't work until you're online with the ECU (makes sense). Anyway, I was online and tried it several times to get the timing to move off 10°, but with no joy.
    I suggest completely removing the Holley EFI software from the "Control Panel", "My Documents" (Holley folder) and the
    "C:Drive" (Program Files, Holley folder) and install a fresh EFI software download. Save your Global Folder somewhere.
    Often times, when EFI software related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted software download/installation.
    Conversely, often times, when actual ECU related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted ECU firmware installation.
    Also, try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...9r10546rev.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...g_firmware.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

Latest V4 EFI Software & ECU Firmware:
    The latest Holley EFI V4 software & firmware can be downloaded HERE.
    Read the V4 Software Overview document HERE, or in the EFI software "Help" Contents.
    Be sure to successfully install the new V4 software, before installing the ECU firmware.
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

On another note, I may have stumbled upon the source of my stumble...the coil was cracked. I noticed while doing timing checks that every so often, my timing light would 'skip' so I checked it out. Scratch one brand new MSD TFI coil. Replaced it with a Mallory. The Bronco starts a lot better. Thanks much.
    Yes, the engine & ignition components must be in proper working order, before attempting to setup or tune an aftermarket EFI system.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

2. Default

Just wanted to say what a great article, rife with information!
    Just wondering if you can do this on an Avenger using the handheld tuner only vs. a laptop via USB?

'59 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 3" lift (1" body all around, 2" rear suspension) & dual sway bars
    357ci SBC, Vortec heads, 214°/224° @ 0.050 cam/under .050" lift/112° LSA & roller rockers
    2.5" ram horn manifolds, dual 2.25" pipes, H-pipe behind trans, 14" Flowmaster mufflers
    Power steering, tilt column, power disc brakes up front, A/C (Vintage Air kit pending)
    700R4 transmission, 2200 stall, 3.42 limited-slip rear end & 31.5" tires

Quote Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
    Just wondering if you can do this on an Avenger using the handheld tuner only vs. a laptop via USB?
    If the Avenger handheld controller allows access to the Inductive Delay parameter, then yes.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....=6281#post6281 (Related Forum Thread - Read This!)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10505rev.pdf (Avenger Handheld Controller Instructions)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, I have a question about the "Enable Static Timing Set".
    I've set the initial idle timing, and I'm checking the high rev timing.
    The 25° or 30° that's entered, is the timing I should see on the degree wheel with the timing light?

Engine is a '49 8BA Flathead with twin Autotrend throttle bodies.
    It's in the process of getting the engine tuning setup.

Quote Originally Posted by mdsprout View Post
    The 25° or 30° that's entered, is the timing I should see on the degree wheel with the timing light?
    Yes, on the crankshaft damper. Always believe the timing light above all else...it's always the real timing (if there's a discrepancy).

In the "Set Static Timing" screen, there are "SET" "Get" & "Clear" tabs. I just installed a GM HEI computer controlled distributor, and I'm trying to set the initial. I've tried it several different ways to set it at 10°. My timing light shows that, but when I select "SET" the vehicle starts to run poorly. Even though the base timing shows 25°, the timing light is still showing 10°. I've read this thread several times, but saw no mention of the "SET" "Get" & "Clear" tabs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    Even though the base timing shows 25°, the timing light is still showing 10°.
    Are you trying to set the (actual engine) idle timing to 10° or 25°?
    Is the idle timing in the Base Timing Table set to 10° or 25°?

The 10° "Ignition Reference Angle" (GM HEI) is not the idle timing.
    Most engines won't like 10° idle timing, and it'll glow the header tubes red.

I've read this thread several times, but saw no mention of the "SET" "Get" & "Clear" tabs.
    You'll only need to use "SET" & "CLEAR" to enable & disable the Static Timing Set.

Honestly, I was trying to set the base timing to 10°. I've been working on another vehicle with a different aftermarket ECU, and that's what I set that at. I went back & reread the first post, and I think I had confused myself. Let me make sure I have this correct in my head now:
    1. Select Enable Static Timing Set from the drop down menu.
    2. Enter the Static Timing value I want, you recommend 25-30, so that's what I'll go with.
    3. Move distributor to match the Static Timing value.
    4. Select "Set" and that's it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    3. Move distributor to match the Static Timing value.
    4. Select "Set" and that's it?
    No, your step 3 & 4 are reversed.
    I think you're confusing what the "Enable Static Timing Set" function actually is. It's not permanently setting the ignition timing for you, and it's not necessarily your idle timing. It's only a temporary tool to assist you in synchronizing the ignition timing. You actually don't even have to use it, but it's much easier to adjust the Inductive Delay with it. "Set" just activates the entered timing value you chose, to temporarily lock the entire Base Timing Table at one fixed value (like a locked out advance distributor). When you exit the "Enable Static Timing Set" function (timing synchronization complete), you're back on the Base Timing Table to make timing changes/tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    No, your step 3 & 4 are reversed. I think you're confusing what the "Enable Static Timing Set" function actually is. It's not permanently setting the ignition timing for you, and it's not necessarily your idle timing. It's only a temporary tool to assist you in synchronizing the ignition timing.
    I got it lined out, works great. Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast