Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Synchronizing Ignition Timing - Holley EFI

Just to confirm my reading of the above, "With a GM HEI & Ford TFI, simply set it to 10° and forget about it (it's not your idle timing)." I.E. There is no need to perform the Cranking Timing confirmation test with a timing light for the GM LSx 24 Tooth Ignition Type? And the Cranking Parameters Timing Setting is always to be set at 10°?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Just to confirm my reading of the above, "With a GM HEI & Ford TFI, simply set it to 10° and forget about it (it's not your idle timing)." I.E. There is no need to perform the Cranking Timing confirmation test with a timing light for the GM LSx 24 Tooth Ignition Type?
    Correct, you shouldn't need to check the timing synchronization on an LSx application. But if you have an LSx engine, why are you referring to the GM HEI & Ford TFI distributors? In other words, what do these distributors have to do with an LSx application?

And the Cranking Parameters Timing Setting is always to be set at 10°?
    10° & 15° of Cranking Timing is the most common.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    But if you have an LSx engine, why are you referring to the GM HEI & Ford TFI distributors? In other words, what do these distributors have to do with an LSx application?
    My ignorance of those terms. I assumed they were terms for LSx type system. This is why so many questions. I want to be sure I do not misunderstand. Thanks for your patience & timely help.

10° & 15° of Cranking Timing is the most common.
    How would I confirm what mine should be since there's more than one setting apparently? My engine is a 2004 GM Gen7 8.1L ignition system with 24 tooth crank reluctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    How would I confirm what mine should be since there's more than one setting apparently? My engine is a 2004 GM Gen7 8.1L ignition system with 24 tooth crank reluctor.
    It's user-programmable EFI. You tune it by simply trying both values, and use the one that promotes better starting.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks again!

Hey guys, Garland here. I’ve got a 71 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. We bored & stroked engine to a 408. I’m using 72cc Trick Flow heads with Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake. Not sure about the cam specs, but I believe it's mildly aggressive. I’m using the Holley Terminator EFI. The fuel pump is in the tank. I dropped the distributor in at 60° BTDC, set cranking timing to 15° and synchronized high RPM with laptop. Everything runs great except when I need to restart engine. It acts like I have a weak battery and sometimes stalls. I was told by Holley that I needed a bigger battery. I replaced mine with a 800 CCA. The problem didn’t go away. According to Ford the idle timing needs to be set between 6° & 12°, if I’m understanding it correctly. I know that can’t apply with my setup. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    According to Ford the idle timing needs to be set between 6° & 12°, if I’m understanding it correctly. I know that can’t apply with my setup.
    Read "Ignition Timing Advance": http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)

While working to get my timing synchronized today, I came this information and thought it could be very useful to others. It gives some very helpful information about distributor stabbing: https://www.w8ji.com/distributor_stabbing.htm