Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention: FORD Engines with Holley EFI

Default Attention: FORD Engines with Holley EFI

Ford owners should verify their MPFI fuel injector harness is wired correctly for a Ford engine.
    If you have the Holley 558-200 fuel injector harness, it is not wired correctly for a Ford engine.
    Reference: the early 558-200 injector harness is incorrectly labeled for GM, Ford & Chrysler engines.
    Holley now sells a Ford specific fuel injector harness, 558-209:

Correcting the connector terminals:
    Basically, just follow the letters on the 10-pin connector; A = cyl #1, B = cyl #2, C = cyl #3, D = cyl #4, etc.
    The injector harness wire colors don't matter; what's important is the cylinder numbers lead to the correct pin letter (A-H).
    Keep in mind, you're not touching the 10-pin connector on the main harness side; the correction is performed on the fuel injector harness.
    Also, note the harness wire colors change at the 10-pin connector.

It's easy to repin the fuel injector harness at the 10-pin connector (if you have the Delphi Metri-Pack terminal release tool).
    If you don't have the actual terminal release tool, a "safety pin" will work.
    It just needs to be a stiff wire between .030"-.035" in diameter to release the terminal tab.
    Then reopen (bend) the terminal tab before reinsertion, so it will clip (lock) into the cavity.

For reference, my 558-200 fuel injector harness is now correctly configured like this (Ford):
    CYL/PIN ... Main Harness ... Injector Harness
    1/A .......... gray ................. yellow
    2/B .......... white ................ brown
    3/C .......... beige ................ purple
    4/D .......... purple ............... orange
    5/E .......... pink .................. black
    6/F .......... green ................ blue
    7/G .......... orange .............. gray
    8/H .......... blue ................. green

FORD engine cylinder numbers:

GM & CHRYSLER engine cylinder numbers:

If you'd like to confirm the eight injector wires at the ECU end (P1B) of the Main Harness:
    Injector A - B19 - gray
    Injector B - B26 - white
    Injector C - B25 - beige
    Injector D - B13 - purple
    Injector E - B7 - pink
    Injector F - B4 - green
    Injector G - B5 - orange
    Injector H - B6 - blue

Notes:

The fuel injector harness has nothing to do with the engine's "Firing Order".
    The engine's Firing Order is entered in the EFI software (Ignition Parameters).
    The fuel injection type is also entered in the EFI software (Engine Parameters).
    The numbers on the injector harness, are for the engine's "cylinder numbers".

For clarity, it took me 10 minutes to correctly repin the injector harness connector.
    Also, I never even removed the injector harness from the engine.
    My "labels" are still numbered & located correctly at each cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Wiring Manual
    5.2 Fuel Injector Outputs (Injectors)
    All terminated harnesses have a fuel injector connector. Various fuel injector harnesses plug into this connector.
    It is essential these harnesses are used so that injector firing sequence is maintained.
    Note that for engines with different firing orders, you do NOT change these pins. The engine’s Firing Order is input in the software itself.
    Pins A-H are routed to the cylinder number designation for the engine (i.e. A goes to cylinder #1, B goes to cylinder #2, etc).
    V8 harnesses offered by Holley are labeled for GM, Ford, and Chrysler engines.
    B19 – cylinder/injector 1/A (Pin A)
    B26 – cylinder/injector 2/B (Pin B)
    B25 – cylinder/injector 3/C (Pin C)
    B13 – cylinder/injector 4/D (Pin D)
    B7 – cylinder/injector 5/E (Pin E)
    B4 – cylinder/injector 6/F (Pin F)
    B5 – cylinder/injector 7/G (Pin G)
    B6 – cylinder/injector 8/H (Pin H)
    +12V Power – (Pins J/K)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)
    https://www.holley.com/brands/holley.../hp_harnesses/ (Holley EFI Injector Harnesses)
    http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_289_302-5.0.htm (289, 302, 5.0L Firing Order)
    http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_302_351W.htm (351W, 5.8L Firing Order)
    http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_429-514.htm (429, 460, 501+ Firing Order)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Guys,
    For those who haven't figured it out already, Danny is all over these EFI forums and seems to be the most knowledgeable guy on this system, so read his posts thoroughly. They help clear up any confusion after reading some of the stuff in the Holley installation guide, especially if you have a universal kit like mine #550-604. Everything he wrote above is correct, he helped me with this issue a few weeks ago in my "installation" thread.

Below is my fuel injection harness re-pin which works perfectly for all 1986-1993 Fox Body Mustangs with factory or aftermarket intakes.
    CYL/PIN ... Main Harness ... Injector Harness
    1/A .......... gray ................. black
    2/B .......... white ................ blue
    3/C .......... beige ................ gray
    4/D .......... purple ............... green
    5/E .......... pink .................. brown
    6/F .......... green ................ yellow
    7/G .......... orange .............. orange
    8/H .......... blue .................. purple

Did you rewire your harness, as opposed to rearranging the eight connector terminals?
    I'm asking because I don't understand how you ended up with that color scheme.
    The injector harness is labeled, cylinders 1 through 8.
    Did you disassemble the harness and move these around?

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Did you rewire your harness, as opposed to rearranging the eight connector terminals?
    I just rearranged the wires and repinned the fuel injector harness connector.
    My upper intake is very close to the firewall due to it's size, so wire length is critical to reaching the front cylinders.

I'm asking because I don't understand how you ended up with that color scheme.
    I was told by Holley that my 558-200 fuel injection harness is for an "over the manifold" configuration like on a TBI setup. I had to rearrange the harness so the longest wires could reach my front cylinders on both sides since I can't go over the intake manifold due to the GT40 tubular size & design. Like you wrote, the wires colors shouldn't matter, as long as each cylinder corresponds to the proper cylinder/pin on the connector. Example: Pin A, black wire, goes to cyl #1...

The injector harness is labeled, cylinders 1 through 8.
    Did you disassemble the harness and move these around?
    The Holley cylinder labels don't match-up now to the cylinders I have them to, but I rearranged the wires on the fuel injection harness connector to match the Holley wiring diagram for each particular cylinder. I hope I didn't screw anything up, now I'm second guessing myself. Pins A-H should be running cylinders 1-8, wire colors shouldn't matter right?
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 08-01-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985351 View Post
    I hope I didn't screw anything up, now I'm second guessing myself.
    Pins A-H should be running cylinders 1-8, wire colors shouldn't matter right?
    Correct, I just didn't understand why you needed to reroute the injector wiring itself.
    I see now that you decided to reroute the wires for a better fit, due to your manifold design.
    As long as pin A is wired to cylinder #1, pin B wired to cylinder #2, pin C wired to cylinder #3, etc.

For clarity, it took me 10 minutes to correctly repin the injector harness connector.
    Also, I never even removed the injector harness from the engine.
    My "labels" are still numbered & located correctly at each cylinder.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 07-31-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Wish I would've seen this sooner. I thought I kept up with reading on here, but I missed it. Thanks for all the help on here!

You're welcome. It shouldn't be a problem anymore, since Holley now sells Ford specific fuel injector harnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You're welcome. It shouldn't be a problem anymore, since Holley now sells Ford specific fuel injector harnesses.
    I bought an HP EFI system about one year ago, and can't find the harness part number. Could you tell me what color the #1 is supposed to be?

Not without knowing the harness part number. However, the wire color isn't what's important. Just ensure the cylinder wires #1-8 are wired to the correct 10-pin connector terminals (letters A-H). See post #1.

Thank you, I did that this morning. I did the first startup of the car yesterday and it's pig rich. It's a SBF 363, TFI, 80 mm, with 120 lb/hr injectors, and I loaded the turbo 302 base calibration tune in the files.