Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing a VSS Sensor with Holley EFI

Are you trying to send a pulses per mile signal to a speedometer, or adding a vehicle speed sensor channel input?
    If operating an electronic speedometer, do so by using the "Speedometer Output Enable" in the Transmission ICF:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0291#post30291 (Speedometer Output Info - Dominator ECU/Transmission ICF)
    If wiring a stand-alone VSS sensor (MPH display), do so with a custom speed Input in the Inputs/Outputs ICF:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ith-Holley-EFI (Installing A VSS Sensor)
    FYI: The "Speedometer Output Enable" (Speed Calculation in the Transmission ICF) is used to operate an electronic speedometer
    (Pulses Per Mile signal - LINK), not a VSS. Electronic transmissions already have a VSS. If you're trying to create a stand-alone
    VSS (MPH) signal, do so with a custom speed Input in the Inputs/Outputs ICF (LINK). HP ECU is only compatible with Hall-Effect type VSS.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2656#post82656 (Speedometer/VSS Information - Read posts #2, #4 & #6.)

If you're using the Holley 554-140 GPS USB Module with the Digital Dash, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "GPS Speed", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "GPS Speed" (LINK).

If you're using the electronic transmission's VSS (Transmission ICF) with the Digital Dash, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "Trans Speed", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "Trans Speed" (LINK).

If you're using a custom created VSS Input from the ECU Inputs/Outputs ICF with the Digital Dash, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "ECU Input", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "ECU Input" (LINK/LINK).

If you're using a custom VSS Input directly connected into the Digital Dash IO3 or IO4 pins, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "Dash Speed", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "Dash Speed" (LINK).
    This is the only setting that requires you to enter values in the Local Dash Speed Calculation fields on the Digital Dash.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I guess there was too much in that one. I have my 1998 Camaro with T56 speedometer that's partway working, and I need to fix it. First the only way to get the speed to display sort of right is to enter a rear end ratio of 1.62 even though I have a 3.73. How do I fix this to be correct, so when I can change tire sizes, I just change the tire size in the Transmission ICF and it be right with my 3.73?

I was thinking about it and it might be fine this way. I can't see the formula to figure it out that way, and currently don't have other wheels to test it out that way. The other part I need to work out is the Camaro speedometer jumps around and I need to know if that can be fixed with a pull-up resistor maybe. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep the 5.7" TSLCD display I have loaned to me, so I'd like to get this factory one working as soon as I can.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...Output&p=30291 This is a closed thread and is about a guy trying to setup this on a TR6060, or the weak version that comes in stock cars of my T56 Magnum. The directions you give say to put in the correct rear end ratio, but if I do this I get 13 MPH when I'm doing 45 MPH. Why do I have to put 1.62 to get close to the right speed output? How do I fix it? How do I get the dash to read a solid reading, so I can stop looking at my passenger floor for my speed?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dickens View Post
    The directions you give say to put in the correct rear end ratio, but if I do this I get 13 MPH when I'm doing 45 MPH. Why do I have to put 1.62 to get close to the right speed output?
    As stated in post #1 of this thread (read "NOTES"), there's additional "Gear Ratio" math involved if you have speedometer gears. For example, my "Gear Ratio" is also 1.62, due to my 13 tooth speedometer drive gear & 33 tooth speedometer driven gear.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Missed that, but still doesn't fully answer if changing tire size will just need me to change the tire size. I'd guess it would, but not sure. Also, doesn't help without the fact that my speedometer is all over the place and I can only tell how fast I'm going with a loaner $500 Digital Dash. I guess I have to dig open a harness I spent 100 hours on and try it as a guess, because I've never read anything about it helping and I can't get an answer. If I need to call Holley because you don't know then just say it. I've been building this car for four years and I just want to safely drive it. Sorry if this is the first time I've done this on the 400 Holley engines I've tuned.

Yes, contact Holley Tech Service (LINK). I don't know why this isn't working for you.

I've been loosely (very loosely) following this thread and I feel like I need to make a video. I apologize if I'm repeating something that has already been said. I have a T56 (F-body) & Dominator ECU. I'm not using the Transmission ICF, but created a custom VR input for the speed signal. Everything works perfectly after I inputted my Gear Ratio & Tire Diameter. Then again, I'm using the Digital Dash and do not have a speedometer output, which is what seems to give people trouble. Again, only loosely following this thread. Andrew

I busted open the harness and put a 1K resistor line on both, thinking pull-up resistor was needed. Didn't work, so I gave up and thought about it over night. Came up with a plan to tune the pulses per mile like I had to do with the Gear Ratio. During this failed attempt, I thought to try the same on the divider of the tach. This wasn't going well and I decided to try a pull down on the tach. It dropped way down, but was stable. I thought what the heck and realized the divider was at 120. Went back to 30 and it was close, so I got it nailed at 32. Haven't tried above 3K, still trying to break clutch & transmission in. Then I realized the speedometer has also calmed down, so back to the tuning it in. Found that 3750 pulses was perfect. One day I might put a scope on it and find out what equipment isn't hitting the mark (my guess is the old stuff), but I have to many other things to get right before I can play around.

If I go to a Digital Dash later, I'll go back to the custom VSS as it will allow me to tune things better. But I needed the Transmission ICF for the stock speedometer and that part sucks. I see that 4.0 Build 32 says you can unlock the reserved from the Transmission ICF, but I have not figured out how that works yet. Plus, I don't need it right now.

I see that 4.0 Build 32 says you can unlock the reserved from the Transmission ICF, but I have not figured out how that works yet.
    No, not the "Reserved" pins, unused pins.

I see that 4.0 Build 32 says you can unlock the reserved from the Transmission ICF, but I have not figured out how that works yet.
    Not the actual "Reserved" pins (meaning the Drive-By-Wire or Transmission ICF is uploaded). The latest V4 EFI software/ECU firmware unlocks the unused J3 DBW & J4 Transmission I/O to be utilized (see Pin Map).
    If the Transmission ICF (P4) or Drive-By-Wire ICF (P3) is not used, all the pins (which contain various Input & Output options) are open/available for use as user configurable custom I/O selections.

Oh, so just the paddle shift and other extras if not used. Good to know. It would free a lot more pins if they made at least one output work with the Pulses Per Mile feature.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast