Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing a VSS Sensor with Holley EFI

Default Installing a VSS Sensor with Holley EFI

This information applies to installing & programming a stand-alone VSS sensor with the Holley Avenger, HP & Dominator EFI.
    To connect up to 4 Inputs & Outputs to the EFI main harness, use the Holley 558-400 I/O Auxiliary Harness.
    If you're controlling an electronic transmission with a Dominator EFI, you must use that transmission's OEM VSS sensor.

If you have a cable driven speedometer, I highly suggest using an Auto Meter 5291/5292 Hall-Effect VSS sensor with your new Holley EFI.
    The 16 pulses per revolution has excellent resolution for good signal at very slow speeds.
    Also, it's a durable aluminum construction, as opposed to the plastic VSS sensor I previously used.
    (I'm not using shielded wiring.) It works great on the Data Monitor, Datalogging and for Math Channels.
    I find it very useful to know the vehicle speed (MPH), when reviewing a datalog for tuning purposes.
    VDO also sells 5-28V Hall-Effect VSS sensors: LINK (#340013 FORD 90°), LINK (#340011E GM 90°), LINK (#340011 GM straight).

NOTES:
    When you setup the VSS parameters (I/O Digital Speed Input), there are a couple of caveats:
    1) Start with the same number of "Pulses to Average" as "Pulses" (PPROT - pulses per rotation).
    2) "Gear Ratio" - You must divide the rear axle gear ratio by the speedometer gear ratio (if you have a speedometer drive gear and a speedometer driven gear).
    First divide the speedometer driven gear tooth count, by the speedometer drive gear tooth count, then divide the rear axle gear ratio by that number.

Example VSS: My speedometer drive gear has 13 teeth & the driven gear has 33 teeth (33 ÷ 13 = 2.54 speedometer gear ratio).
    My rear axle gear
    ratio is 4.10, giving me a final EFI "Gear Ratio" of 1.61 (4.10 ÷ 2.54 = 1.61 "Gear Ratio" in EFI software).
    Unfortunately, this isn't in the Holley EFI instruction manual, so I'm informing you here.

Driveshaft Speed: This VSS sensor can also provide a Driveshaft Speed input by splitting the signal wire to a 2nd Digital Speed Input (RPM).
    My example - divide 16 sensor pulses per revolution, by 2.54 speedometer gear ratio, and enter 6.30 PPROT (16 ÷ 2.54 = 6.30 PPROT).
    Currently, the PPROT parameter doesn't accept decimal values, however, it will in a future update.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?t=1599178 (Driveshaft RPM to Miles Per Hour)
    http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?page_id=6025 (Wheel RPM & Driveshaft RPM Calculator)
    http://www.advanced-ev.com/Calculato...ize/index.html (RPM/Driveshaft Calculator)

Some of the VSS parameters are "math operations" that occur on hardware vs. the base firmware in the ECU.
    They are performed when you key-on only. Meaning when you change it (click "Save"), it won’t recognize the change until you do a key-on event.
    When you change some values with the key on, the math is incorrect because certain parts don’t get re-initialized, until the next key-on event.

If the I/O menu icon (ICF) isn't already uploaded (added) to the top Toolbar, follow these instructions:
    (This same procedure applies to all the various Individual Configuration menu icons/items.)
    The "I/O" function is an "Individual Configuration" of the Holley EFI software.
    At top of screen, Click "Toolbox" and "Add Individual Config".
    At top of new window, select "Individual Configuration Library".
    At bottom of new window, select "Holley EFI Inputs/Outputs Config".
    Select "I/O" and open "Base Config - Blank.io".
    The "I/O" icon will then be present at top of screen.
    After creating the new Input, "Pin Map" it to an available ECU connector input pin.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8389#post58389 (How To Create A Custom Input/Output)

To connect up to 4 Inputs & Outputs to the EFI Main Harness, use I/O Auxiliary Harness 558-400.
    Eight Wire I/O Auxiliary Harness Connector Pin-Out (also in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual - LINK):
    Pin A...A12...White/Blue (Input #1) F,5,2,T,H,G
    Pin B...A3....White/Red (Input #2) F,5,2,T,H,G
    Pin C...A13...White/Black (Input #3) F,5,G
    Pin D...A4....White/Green (Input #4) F,5,G
    Pin E...B12...Gray/Yellow (Output #1) H,P+
    Pin F...B11...Gray/Red (Output #2) H,P+
    Pin G...B10...Gray/Black (Output #3) G,P−
    Pin H...B3....Gray/Green (Output #4) G,P−
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10516.pdf (Holley 558-400 I/O Auxiliary Harness Instructions)
    The 558-400 I/O Auxiliary Harness is 20 feet long, and it's "plug & play" into the EFI main harness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_03230001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	3241
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Can we input a VSS signal or a driveshaft speed with the HP ECU or do we have to upgrade to the Dominator ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by lnorton View Post
    Can we input a VSS signal or a driveshaft speed with the HP ECU or do we have to upgrade to the Dominator ECU?
    Yes, the HP & Dominator ECUs can be wired for a VSS or driveshaft speed sensor (LINK).
    The HP ECU is only compatible with the better, Hall-Effect (digital) "F" Type speed sensors.
    The Dominator ECU is compatible with Hall-Effect (digital) speed sensors, as well as VR Magnetic (inductive) "S" Type pickup speed sensors.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 9.1 "Inputs", Pages 27 & 28)

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
    VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
    http://www.electronicproducts.com/El...g_for_you.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I have setup my Holley HP with the Auto Meter Hall-Effect sensor, as Danny describes.
    I get my vehicle speed info when running a log, but I'm not able to get my Touchscreen to display the speed.
    I guess I'm missing something here. How to setup the screen gauges? Thanks, Roy

Quote Originally Posted by roytveit View Post
    I get my vehicle speed info when running a log, but I'm not able to get my touchscreen to display the speed. How to setup the screen gauges?
    Currently, the TSLCD can only display the numerical reading (TSLCD Data Monitor), not on a "gauge".

http://www.holley.com/553-103.asp (Touchscreen LCD)
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...R10524rev2.pdf (TSLCD Manual)

Anyway to smooth that reading on the DS speed? I have one and it's very wavy, 4 PPROT the issue? I log 20 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel6718 View Post
    Anyway to smooth that reading on the DS speed? I have one and it's very wavy...
    If the signal is choppy, especially at low speeds, try increasing the Pulses To Average.

...4 PPROT the issue?
    Maybe, but first try increasing the Pulses To Average.

Duh! OK will do. (It does it through the whole run, varies up and down 1.5 I think.)

What do you suggest if I use the Auto Meter GPS for my speed? It has an output of 16,000 pulses per mile. Is there a way to change it to PPM, or should I just do some math and figure out what ratio and tire size will give me the 16,000 ppm?

Quote Originally Posted by madramper View Post
    What do you suggest if I use the Auto Meter GPS for my speed?
    I've never used the Auto Meter GPS unit.

Is there a way to change it to PPM...
    No.

...or should I just do some math and figure out what ratio and tire size will give me the 16,000 ppm?
    I'm not sure if skewing those (limited) parameters will render that result.