Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Temperature ECU Input

What I meant to relay is I'm removing the Auto Meter 2259 sensor that was wired to Holley pin J1-A12 to record & datalog engine oil temperature, and replacing with Livorsi temperature sensor. I have tested the Livorsi sensor to provide the temperature vs Ohms resistance custom calibration file the Holley requires. I will see if that works. The Auto Meter 2259 installed in engine block oil galley and connected to the Holley recorded 169°F engine oil temperature, at the same time as the Livorsi gauge connected to its Livorsi sensor displayed 230°F oil temperature at oil filter (hot oil out before oil cooler). The oil temperature of oil going into the engine from the 190°F thermostatically controlled oil cooler, is 190°F as measured by a second Livorsi gauge connected to its Livorsi sensor.

I decided that I want to monitor engine oil temp as well as transmission temp, along with a +12V 2-Step. In trying to set it up, it looks like that's not possible with the HP. Is that correct? I've also read that it's not suggested to use a ground for the 2 step. Why is that not recommended?

You have 2 thermistor Inputs on the HP. Inputs 1 & 2 can be setup for a temperature sensor (thermistor).

There's nothing wrong with using a ground for the 2-Step, but it's often done as a 12V signal because it's easier for wiring.
    Where the challenge comes in, is if you use it in conjunction with your transbrake, which is typically grounded at the transmission (some internally, some to a bolt on the transmission just for ease of wiring), and you have a 12V button for the transbrake and you want the 2-Step to just be also tied to the same button. So you are forced to use a 12V signal at that point. The way around this is to use a relay to be your ground pass through to the ECU and the button just triggers both the transbrake solenoid and the activation of the relay that allows a ground signal pass to the ECU to activate your 2-Step. But if you use the ECU to send an output for the transbrake, then the input side doesn't matter and it can be a 12V or a ground.
    Last edited by S2H; 04-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I'm not using a transbrake. I was sure I read somewhere more than once that using a ground to activate the 2-Step wasn't recommended, but I don't remember why. Maybe I'm thinking about something other than the 2-Step regarding using a ground. Thanks.

Wow, am I getting old. I finally remembered reading about the ground method had nothing to do with the injection system. Something with a shift controller I use. Sorry about that. Easy fix, change my 2-Step to ground and put it on Input 3. Thanks for your help. I'm embarrassed.

Hi Danny. I have an AOD also. Which port did you put your sensor in? There's three on the right side. Thanks.

Add a bung to your pan or drill & tap your pan if it's thick enough. You don't really want to use a port on the side, since they are not typically very deep and the sensor could potentially restrict flow that way. Also, the ports on the side of the transmission are pressure ports & don't always have moving fluid (dependent on shift linkage position), so it will be extremely inaccurate at times.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I do understand all you're saying especially with the fluid flow blocking part, which I never thought of. But Danny did a pretty extensive writeup on his installation with the same transmission as me, and he seems happy with it. I bought the same small sensor he recommended and was thinking about trying it just for the ease of it. The transmission just got freshened so the pans gonna be on for a half dozen passes, but I had a transbrake installed this time and was kinda curious about temperature. When the pan comes off first time, I'll weld a bung on just because/just in case.
    Last edited by HotRodLincoln; 06-26-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
    But Danny did a pretty extensive writeup on his installation with the same transmission as me, and he seems happy with it.
    I installed it in my transmission's main line pressure test port (driver's side of transmission, above shift lever, next to the neutral safety switch). The Auto Meter 2259 sensor is very short, so it's not restricting anything. It works perfectly.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

And S2H not to short you in any way. I respect your opinion also. But I knew Danny was another of the few with a LenTech AOD. And FYI, the pressure port had a plug with a long stem past the threads. Longer than the stem in the pressure sender I'm using, so at least fluid flow blockage is not a concern. Thanks for making that point. I may not have thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
    And S2H not to short you in any way. I respect your opinion also. But I knew Danny was another of the few with a LenTech AOD. And FYI the pressure port had a plug with a long stem past the threads. Longer than the stem in the pressure sender I'm using so at least fluid flow blockage is not a concern. Thanks for making that point. I may not have thought about it.
    It might very well be OK. I just wanted to make sure to cover that point, because on many transmissions it would not be a good idea.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast