Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecting & Tuning Knock Sensors - Holley EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmi View Post
    Will these work with the stock harness?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weatherpa...ht_2813wt_1271
    No. I specifically stated the required connectors are Delphi Metri-Pack 150, not the Weather-Pack series.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, do you have a link for where to buy a crimp tool for the Delphi Metri-Pack 150 connectors? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stwsyb View Post
    Danny, do you have a link for where to buy a crimp tool for the Delphi Metri-Pack 150 connectors? Thanks.
    • I use the same tool for crimping Metri-Pack, Weather-Pack & SuperSeal terminals (ECU connectors).
    This crimping tool is my favorite, is inexpensive, and works very well:
    http://www.whiteproducts.com/tools.shtml (T-18 Metri-Pack/Weather-Pack terminal & seal crimper)

• If you don't have the actual Metri-Pack terminal release tool, a "safety pin" will work.
    It just needs to be a stiff wire between .030"-.035" in diameter to release the terminal tab.
    Then reopen (bend) the terminal tab before reinsertion, so it will clip (lock) into the cavity.
    http://www.whiteproducts.com/removal_tools.shtml (T-6 Micro Terminal Release Pick Tool)

• If you're also working with Weather-Pack connectors, the terminal release tool is a necessity:
    http://www.whiteproducts.com/removal_tools.shtml (T-3 Weather-Pack Terminal Release Tool)
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...0&cat=0&page=6 (Nice kit from Innovate Motorsports)

• I always use the 16/18 AWG (1.0-0.80 mm²) terminals for Metri-Pack 150 and Weather-Pack connectors.
    If using the smaller diameter 20/22 AWG wire (in a 16/18 AWG terminal), simply strip off twice the amount
    of insulation you normally would, and fold it in half into the larger terminals for proper size crimping.
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/aw...uge-d_731.html (AWG to mm² Wire Conversion Table)

EDIT: I added some pertinent tool information.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks again Danny.

This is confusing:
    "Resonant Sensor
    The proper frequency for a Resonant (1-wire) sensor is mostly dependent on the sensor design itself. The engine and chassis also can alter the best frequency selected. So it is required to find this information in a service manual or other source if a Resonant sensor is used.
    The following is a recommended starting point for two common GM Resonant 1-wire sensors:
    ACDelco PN 213-3521, GM PN 12589867 – Commonly used on 1998-2006 GM LSx engines. Baseline Frequency – 11.1 kHz
    ACDelco PN 213-324, GM PN 10456288 – Used on Late 80’s GM engines. Baseline Frequency – 5.2 to 6.5 kHz"

The Standard Motor Products KS7 sensor replaces GM 10456288 - but can't find frequency data for it?
    Is it the same 5.2 to 6.5 kHz or should I stick in the HP EFI value of 10.5 kHz (GM 10456288)?

Engine has been run at dyno without these sensors and gave 449 HP @ 5300 r/min and 475 ft lbs @4400 (with mechanical water pump and alternator installed).

Total advance at WOT is set to 34 degrees. I would like to have knock sensors up and running properly - just for safety reasons.
    Last edited by Pertti Koskinen; 02-16-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    '81 El Camino, SBC 383, Trick Flow 195 heads w/64cc CNC chambers (milled to 62cc), 12 cc dished pistons, 9.9:1 comp ratio (8.1 dynamic), Edelbrock Air-Gap, Dynatech headers (1 3/4 primaries), small cap HEI, Holley HP EFI, Comp Cams XE274HR (230/236 deg@.050" lift), MSD Super Conductor 8mm spark wires, NGK R spark plugs, TCI TH2004R transmission, 3.73 rear (10-bolt w ARP studs, solid sleeve, 28 spline Regal axles, Eaton TrueTrac diff, SSBC disc brakes), Hotchkis suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertti Koskinen View Post
    This is confusing:
    "ACDelco PN 213-324, GM PN 10456288 – Used on Late 80’s GM engines. Baseline Frequency – 5.2 to 6.5 kHz"
    That segment of the post is from the Holley EFI "Help" Contents, not me. I don't agree with their baseline frequency.

The Standard Motor Products KS7 sensor, replaces GM 10456288 - but can't find frequency data for it?
    Is it the same 5.2 to 6.5 kHz or should I stick in the HP EFI value of 10.5 kHz (GM 10456288)?
    It's your responsibility to ascertain the correct frequency for the knock sensor(s) you choose to use.
    If unable to find the correct frequency, just purchase the GM 10456288 knock sensor (Link), since we're sure of its data.

Hey Danny, I picked up a couple of the same sensors that you did. When using a 1-wire sensor(s), are you just ignoring the ground the instructions list?

"Holley EFI systems work with either a 1-wire or 2-wire knock sensor. Application specific harnesses will have the correct knock sensor connections installed on the harness. A Universal harness comes with a 3 pin Metri-Pack connector. If a knock sensor is added, it should be connected into this connector:
    A21 – Knock Sensor #2 Input (Pin A)
    A29 – Knock Sensor #1 Input (Pin B)
    A18 – Sensor Ground (Pin C)"
    93 Notchback, 383ci SBF, Highports, 80mm turbo, custom cam, TH400

Quote Originally Posted by Rick90lx View Post
    Hey Danny, I picked up a couple of the same sensors that you did. When using a 1-wire sensor(s), are you just ignoring the ground the instructions list?
    Yes, that's why you need the Delphi 12059168 cavity plug(s) I mentioned in post #1 (read 2nd framed quote).

I guess I was skimming the post and missed it this time. Thanks.
    93 Notchback, 383ci SBF, Highports, 80mm turbo, custom cam, TH400

Quote Originally Posted by Rick90lx View Post
    I guess I was skimming the post and missed it this time. Thanks.
    No problem & you're welcome. I understand there's a lot of information in that post.