Thread: Holley 600 tuning and bogs and stumbles

Maro1983 Guest

Default Holley 600 tuning and bogs and stumbles

Ive had this Holley 600 on my Chevy 307 with mild cam and aluminum heads, its in a 83 Camaro Z28, I can floor from a launch and doesn't spin tires at all but if I give 1/4 throttle and ease off launch it spins tires into 2nd, that's first problem, then if floor it in drive it bogs then picks back up but seems sluggish, and even from 2nd gear pull it bogs for a second, if I'm at low RPM it bogs really bad... runs a little rich at idle I think and plugs are black kinda, doesn't smoke under load tho at all... very strong motor and has a lot in it for a 307.. when i take to track I'm expecting a low 14 and with a really good tune and traction maybe break into high 13... please help me been trying everything since i put Holley on it.. I've switched springs and has silver one in it now and doesn't really like it, also when i shift into 2nd sometimes it falls on face and then backfires out exhaust... thanks for all the help hopefully

Seems like the carburetor's jets needs to be changed.
    Watch all of Holley's carburetor tuning videos; your problem may be revealed in one of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9pX...7BFF0&index=40 (Holley Tech - "Main Jets" video)
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/R7849-2.pdf
    (High Performance Tuning Manual)

Is it too rich or too lean?
    I highly suggest you invest in a wideband O2 sensor kit:
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/534-201
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10485rev1.pdf
    Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy questioning which direction to tune.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Maro1983 Guest

tried changing pump cams, and vacuum secondary springs, i went from 66 to 68 jets and felt a difference and spark plugs actually looked good today when i pulled them, car is running a lot slower i raced a car i beat by 1 1/2 car earlier this year today and lost by 2 cars and still pulling hard, i used to have a screw in linkage on driver side that operates the secondaries and that's how it ran till i got the spring kit, and it ran a lot faster and stronger... but i couldn't floor it or it would bog out... Do you think a 600 Holley with vacuum secondaries and single feed is good size for a 307 with aluminum heads and mild cam and when i had a 750 Edelbrock on it, it was way faster and pulled to 6500 RPM no problem and now it pulls to 5500 only, i just switched because I like Holley better but even with Edelbrock it didn't run right throttle wise i had to ease into throttle, and i still had the problem where it falls on its face around 4500 to 5000 RPM in 2nd gear and just flat out stops pulling and it sometimes back fires out exhaust... please help really wanna get a 670 street avenger or a 650 dual feed Holley

Speaking from what little experience I have on this carb and somewhat similar setup, you might want to upgrade your accelerator pump diaphragm and maybe even go up on the squirter. I'd also double check the timing and what vacuum your intake manifold is pulling. The vacuum is normally 17 to 21 inHg round about but your cam may lower it which may also force you to adjust the actual timing. Textbook numbers are good for a stock engine but with your modifications I think its going to be a matter of trial and error. This is just something to think about it you haven't already. Good luck and I hope you will come back and post when you figure it out.