Thread: 177 Superchared 383 Stroker sbc need HELP picking EFI Setup

Default 177 Superchared 383 Stroker sbc need HELP picking EFI Setup

I need help picking a set up, I would really love to go the non laptop tuning way. I have a pretty good size cam about .590 lift... Will the EFI work with a cam this big? Next if I purchase the Avenger EFI kit that flows 900cfm rated to 600hp will it come with the 2 bar map sensor? also I was thinking about running and electronic distributor..is that possible with my set up I have a 6A MSD box with a Mallory coil... which distributor will hook up and can be controlled by the computer? I have plenty of questions because I want to do this right the first time and take my time doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TireSpin87 View Post
    I would really love to go the non laptop tuning way. Next if I purchase the Avenger EFI kit that flows 900cfm rated to 600hp will it come with the 2 bar map sensor?
    The Holley Avenger EFI systems are complete kits, intended for naturally aspirated applications; therefore equipped with a 1 bar MAP sensor and a basic hand-held programmer. Forced-induction requires a custom tune and certain parameters only accessible with a laptop computer. The Avenger EFI can also be tuned with a laptop computer, just like the HP & Dominator EFI systems. The Avenger EFI is an HP EFI when a laptop computer is connected to it. The Avenger & HP EFI have the exact same software, and they're both fully capable of controlling a forced induction engine.

Also, I was thinking about running and electronic distributor; is that possible with my set up? I have a 6A MSD box with a Mallory coil...which distributor will hook up and can be controlled by the computer?
    A GM HEI small cap computer-controlled distributor.
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev11.pdf (See page 12.)

I have a pretty good size cam about .590 lift... Will the EFI work with a cam this big?
    Yes.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The Holley Avenger EFI systems are complete kits, intended for naturally aspirated applications; therefore equipped with a 1 bar MAP sensor and a basic hand-held programmer. Forced-induction requires a custom tune and certain parameters only accessible with a laptop computer. The Avenger EFI can also be tuned with a laptop computer, just like the HP & Dominator EFI systems. The Avenger EFI is an HP EFI when a laptop computer is connected to it. The Avenger & HP EFI have the exact same software, and they're both fully capable of controlling a forced induction engine.
    Okay, thanks for the input I did not know any of that. So will I need to purchase a 2 bar map sensor? and just to be clear your saying I can run either the HP or Avenger system, BUT because it is forced induction I will need to tune it via laptop? correct? and the Avenger and HP are complete systems? or just the Avenger?

A GM HEI small cap computer-controlled distributor.
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev11.pdf (See page 12.)
    Okay so I am looking at the diagram and I see that the distributor has a input for crank and cam input... does that mean I have to run a crank and cam sensor???

Basically I am trying to find the most simplest way to run my motor with holley efi and make it reliable, could you possibly suggest anything

Okay so I am looking at the diagram and I see that the distributor has a input for crank and cam input...does that mean I have to run a crank and cam sensor???
    No, you only need the additional cam sensor if you're running in sequential mode.
    It's labeled "Cam Input/Bypass" due to it's dual function. It's a Cam Input for sequential, and a Bypass for non-sequential.

Basically I am trying to find the most simplest way to run my motor with Holley EFI and make it reliable, could you possibly suggest anything.
    I believe I have done so; a GM HEI small cap computer-controlled distributor is the simplest way.
    If your EFI kit isn't equipped with the GM HEI ignition harness adapter, here it is: http://www.holley.com/558-304.asp

And just to be clear, you're saying I can run either the HP or Avenger system, BUT because it is forced induction I will need to tune it via laptop?
    Correct, at the very least, you'll need to reconfigure the RPM & MAP scales (X & Y axis).

And the Avenger and HP are complete systems? or just the Avenger?
    No, only the Avenger EFI systems are complete kits. So, the injectors are probably too small for your forced induction application.
    The HP EFI systems are partial kits. You must purchase the fuel injectors (MPI) & fuel pump separately for your engine requirements.

So will I need to purchase a 2 bar map sensor?
    Yes.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 07-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Tell me this...say I purchase the Avenger EFI master kit... Also purchase a 2 bar map.... Would I then be able to tune it via hand held device???

Can you explain the benefits of running a computer controlled distributor??

Tell me this...say I purchase the Avenger EFI master kit... Also purchase a 2 bar map.... Would I then be able to tune it via hand held device???
    No. Let's make this perfectly clear:
    Tuning with a laptop computer, is not a disadvantage. Why would you want to fully tune a forced-induction engine with a hand-held device?
    Also, how much horsepower are you planning? A single TBI's injector size may not be enough fuel for a forced induction application:
    The Holley TBI unit has a 1:1 rising rate boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. It's a small hole, located in the driver's side rear throttle bore (blow-through application).

Can you explain the benefits of running a computer-controlled distributor??
    Tuning with computer-controlled timing, provides much more capability; especially for forced induction applications, that require timing retard as boost increases. Why would you want to use a mechanical advance distributor?

I need help picking a set up, I would really love to go the non laptop tuning way. I have plenty of questions because I want to do this right the first time and take my time doing it.
    To be honest, it doesn't sound like you "want to do this right" at all. It seems like you're questioning the "right way", and looking for short cuts.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you "want to do this right" at all. It seems like you're questioning the "right way", and looking for short cuts.
    Without questioning something, how can someone learn it? I ask so many different questions so I learn what not to do... I am very new to this EFI thing and I want it to be exactly the way I envision it. Believe me.. I've stayed up countless nights for over a month researching trying to find the perfect set up and now I am just figuring it all out.. So I apologize if my questions make it seem as if I want an easy way out.

Without questioning something, how can someone learn it? I ask so many different questions so I learn what not to do.
    OK, I understand asking different questions. However, you will need a laptop computer, 2-bar MAP sensor and an EFI distributor.
    If you currently have nothing, an Avenger EFI system may be for you. Just don't expect to configure & tune it with the hand-held device.

I am very new to this EFI thing and I want it to be exactly the way I envision it.
    If you're "very new" to EFI, you could be wrongly "envisioning it". I made this mistake with my first EFI endeavor and regretted it.

So I apologize if my questions make it seem as if I want an easy way out.
    No apology necessary. I just don't want another project to end up for sale, due to a mediocre effort. Feel free to ask questions.