Thread: Ford Tach Question

speede Guest

I am converting a 93 F350 from diesel to gasoline 460. I am using a MSD 6A for my ignition. I am replacing the 4500 rpm diesel tach with a OEM Ford 6000 rpm unit. The diesel tach uses three wires, Ignition, Ground and Signal. Not used in a diesel application is the wire marked 8 cyl. When I install the new gas tach, I plan on running the tach signal wire to the back of the guage cluster where the wiring harness plugs in. so,,,, do I connect the MSD to the signal wire or the wire that says 8 cyl?
    Thanx !

msdtech4 Guest

speede,

If the tach originally tied to the coil negative this wire will just go to the tach output. If it does not function then you will need a tach adapter part number 8920. Keep in mind this is only if the tach went to the coil.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

speede Guest

The Diesel engine never had a coil.................

msdtech4 Guest

Sir,

I understand that, I am referring to the 6000 RPM tach. Is it out of a diesel or a gas application. If it is pout of a diesel then unfortunately we do not offer anything that will drive it. you will need to get a standard tach from a gas application.

Thanks,

MSD tech4