Thread: Pro Billet Distributor Problem...

geene519 Guest

Currently on my car i have the stock distributor with the Crane HI-6S Ignition system and the car runs good...but when we went to install the Pro Billet distributor the car had a constant surging idle...will the distributor not work with this ignition or could it be the distributor itself?...i;m lost...

Its a 1988 Mustang GT...

msdtech4 Guest

geene519,

What is the part number on the distributor? Is this still EFI or has it been converted to a carbureted set up?

Thanks,

MSD tech4

geene519 Guest

yes...its still EFI...PN 8465...

87gt50 Guest

Shouldn't you use the PN 8456 if just replacing the stock or stock style distributor?
    That's what I used in my 87 5.0... works perfect!

Good luck!

regards,

Joakim, Sweden

geene519 Guest

oops...my bad...it is the 8456...didn't notice my typo...

msdtech4 Guest

geene519,

That is a direct replacement and should be fine. Is the timing being set with the spout connector out? If it is try taking your stock module and installing it on the MSD distributor and see if the problem persists.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

geene519 Guest

ended up returning it...wasn;t gonna fork up more money for a new module since i'm not about to put a 160k mile module onto a Brand New Distributor...for a couple hundred bucks it should come with the extra module...

msdtech4 Guest

geene519,

No it should have not come with an extra module, there is not a need for one. I was having you try the factory module just as a test, nothing more. Obviously if it fixed the problem we would have stood behind it since you just purchased it.

thanks,

MSD tech4