Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP EFI Part #550-604 - Fuel Injector Harness Question

Default HP EFI Part #550-604 - Fuel Injector Harness Question

Installing the HP EFI kit on a 1991 Fox Body Mustang. The supplied fuel injector harness looks very easy and straight forward to install. The installation manual wiring instructions say the injector plugs are marked for Ford, Chevy and Dodge and to make sure they are plugged in properly for each different manufacturer. I've also read on other sites they are marked and need to be plugged in based on manufacturer specs so the motor fires properly. My issue is; I can't see any marking on my plugs for Ford, just the white label that says (Cyl #1) etc. Is the label on each plug what I use to install them? If so, they don't fall in line with my cylinders, so I will have to pull the tape and looming apart to line up the plugs for proper fitment. I've read where other guys say it goes by firing order? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Which Ford engine is this?
    Are you running sequential injection?
    The injector labels are for the cylinder numbers, not the firing order.

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Wiring Manual
    5.2 Fuel Injector Outputs (Injectors)
    All terminated harnesses have a fuel injector connector. Various fuel injector harnesses plug into this connector.
    It is essential these harnesses are used so that injector firing sequence is maintained.
    Note that for engines with different firing orders, you do NOT change these pins. The engine’s firing order is input in the software itself.
    Pins A-H are routed to the cylinder number designation for the engine (i.e. A goes to cylinder #1, B goes to cylinder #2, etc).
    V8 harnesses offered by Holley are labeled for GM, Ford, and Chrysler engines.
    B19 – Injector A (Pin A)
    B26 – Injector B (Pin B)
    B25 – Injector C (Pin C)
    B13 – Injector D (Pin D)
    B7 – Injector E (Pin E)
    B4 – Injector F (Pin F)
    B5 – Injector G (Pin G)
    B6 – Injector H (Pin H)
    +12V Power – (Pins J/K)
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev11.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)
    http://www.holley.com/types/Injector%20Harnesses.asp (Holley EFI injector harnesses)
    http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_289_302-5.0.htm (289, 302, 5.0L firing order)
    http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_302_351W.htm (351W, 5.8L firing order)
    http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_429-514.htm (429, 460, 501+ firing order)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

It's a Windsor based 302 that has been stroked to 347ci. It uses the normal 5.0, high output firing order.

I'm not sure if it's sequential injection, it's always been referred to EFI or multi-port on 5.0L Fox body cars......sorry.

My cylinder #1 is at the front of the motor on the passenger side and runs 1-4, drivers side front starts at 5 and ends at 8, so do I just pull the looming apart and plug them in based off of the little white labels provided by Holley? If so, great, I guess I got confused by where it says they will be labeled for ford and also where I read it goes by firing order. Thought maybe I had the wrong harness.

Thanks for replying, I see you all over the place on here, you're the man.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985351 View Post
    It's a Windsor based 302 that has been stroked to 347ci. It uses the normal 5.0, High Output firing order.
    The fuel injector harness has nothing to do with the engine's "firing order".
    The engine's firing order is entered in the EFI software (Ignition Parameters).
    The fuel injection type is also entered in the EFI software (Engine Parameters).
    The numbers on the injector harness, are for the engine's cylinder numbers.

I'm not sure if it's sequential injection, it's always been referred to EFI or multi-port on 5.0L fox body cars......sorry.
    I meant, will your Holley EFI system be run in sequential mode?
    In other words, will you be running a cam sync sensor?

My cylinder #1 is at the front of the motor on the passenger side and runs 1-4, drivers side front starts at 5 and ends at 8
    Yes, that's how all the older Ford V8 cylinders are numbered.

...so do I just pull the looming apart and plug them in based off of the little white labels provided by Holley?
    If so, great, I guess I got confused by where it says they will be labeled for Ford, and also where I read it goes by firing order.
    It's easier to just re-pin the fuel injector harness at the 10-pin connector (if you have the Delphi Metri-Pack terminal release tool).
    Keep in mind, you're not touching the 10-pin connector on the main harness side; the correction is performed on the fuel injector harness.

Also, the harness wire colors change at the 10-pin connector.
    For reference, my fuel injector harness is configured like this (Ford):
    CYL/PIN ... Main Harness ... Injector Harness
    1/A .......... gray ................. yellow
    2/B .......... white ................ brown
    3/C .......... beige ................ purple
    4/D .......... purple ............... orange
    5/E .......... pink .................. black
    6/F .......... green ................ blue
    7/G .......... orange .............. gray
    8/H .......... blue ................. green
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 07-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Danny, thanks again for responding and sorry you have to put everything in "dummy" terms on your responses back. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff, it's actually the first time I've put something like this in. I've been a mostly a naturally aspirated Mustang guy for the past 28 years, the injected cars I have owned basically had stock computers except this latest car with the Gen 6 DFI. I will not be running it in sequential mode at this point.

I don't have the Delphi removal tool, but will try to buy one locally or may be able to get one from work. I agree it may be easier to re-pin it. If I don't have the tool at work and can't find one locally, can I just install it via the cyl # labels provided by Holley on the injector plugs? If I can get my hands on the tool, would my re-pin be configured like your diagram above? Thanks again, you've been a big help.

Danny, thanks again for responding and sorry you have to put everything in "dummy" terms on your responses back.
    LOL! I just do that because it's easier to respond to each statement.
    Otherwise, things can get easily confused. (I'm very detail oriented.)

I don't have the Delphi removal tool, but will try to buy one locally or may be able to get one from work. I agree it may be easier to re-pin it.
    If you don't have the actual terminal release tool, a "safety pin" will work.
    It just needs to be a stiff wire between .030"-.035" in diameter to release the terminal tab.
    Then reopen (bend) the terminal tab before reinsertion, so it will clip (lock) into the cavity.

If I don't have the tool at work and can't find one locally, can I just install it via the cyl # labels provided by Holley on the injector plugs?
    That depends if the cylinder numbers correctly correspond with the 10-pin connector's letter designation. See below.

If I can get my hands on the tool, would my re-pin be configured like your diagram above?
    I don't know if your injector harness wire colors are arranged the same as mine.
    I have the 558-200 V8 Over Manifold Injector Harness, and it needed to be repinned (at the connector) for a Ford engine.
    Basically, just follow the letters on the 10-pin connector; A = cyl #1, B = cyl #2, C = cyl #3, D = cyl #4, etc.
    The injector harness wire colors don't matter; what's important is the cylinder numbers lead to the correct pin letter (A-H).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford_cyln_1234.gif 
Views:	1428 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	273

Danny, thanks again for responding. My kit came with the same harness Part #558-200 as your kit. I originally contacted Holley and asked if I could swap it out for the Ford EFI harness Part #558-209 so I didn't have to re-pin it or separate the looming to make it work. They told me I could swap it out, but the tech also told me the pin-out in my manual #199R10555 was for a GM car and the Ford one was totally different which I found hard to believe. He was adamant that the Ford harness used different pin-outs even though everything I've seen and read says Pins A-H are for Cyl's 1-8 respectively. Talk about confusing!!! The Holley tech said he had the Ford EFI harness 558-209 in front of him and said the pin-outs are as follows:

Pin A=5 cyl
    Pin B=6 cyl
    Pin C=7 cyl
    Pin D=8 cyl
    Pin E=1 cyl
    Pin F=2 cyl
    Pin G=3 cyl
    Pin H=4 cyl

So, I ran up to a local speed shop that sells Holley products and he had the Ford EFI harness in stock. Low and behold, the pin connector showed:

Pin A=1 cyl
    Pin B=2 cyl
    Pin C=3 cyl
    Pin D=4 cyl
    Pin E=5 cyl
    Pin F=6 cyl
    Pin G=7 cyl
    Pin H=8 cyl

Just as advertised in the manual. Not sure where the Holley tech got this information, but he wouldn't budge off that stance and insisted the car would not run properly if I use the book pin-out and not the one he provided me. That's why I started asking you about this. It shouldn't be this difficult. Just going to re-pin it tonight and throw in on the car based on your input and the installation manual pin-out. Thanks again. Ken

...but the tech also told me the pin-out in my manual #199R10555 was for a GM car and the Ford one was totally different which I found hard to believe. He was adamant that the Ford harness used different pin-outs even though everything I've seen and read says Pins A-H are for Cylinders 1-8 respectively.
    There isn't a Ford specific Main Harness yet (only a Ford Injector Harness and a TFI Ignition Harness). All the Main Harnesses are wired the same, in reference to the injector wires. He is partially correct, by stating the Injector Harnesses are pinned differently, because they certainly are. However, at the 10-pin connector, pins A-H must correspond to cylinders 1-8, because that's how the ECU & Main Harness is wired. The only thing that changes, is the engine that the Injector Harness is connected to (and the firing order in the EFI software).

I suggest you confirm the eight injector wires at the ECU end (P1B) of the Main Harness:
    Injector A - B19 - gray
    Injector B - B26 - white
    Injector C - B25 - beige
    Injector D - B13 - purple
    Injector E - B7 - pink
    Injector F - B4 - green
    Injector G - B5 - orange
    Injector H - B6 - blue

If this is correct, and you have the 558-200 V8 Over Manifold Injector Harness (on an older Ford engine), it needs to be repinned as shown in my post above. My 558-200 Injector Harness was most definitely wired for a Chevy engine. When I traced its cylinder number locations, it was the Chevy pattern.

Chevy engine cylinder numbers:

Name:	GM_cyln_1357.gif 
Views:	1415 
ID:	275

Ford engine cylinder numbers:

Name:	Ford_cyln_1234.gif 
Views:	1561 
ID:	274
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 07-06-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    There isn't a Ford specific Main Harness (only a Ford Injector Harness and a TFI Ignition Harness). All the Main Harnesses are wired the same, in reference to the injector wires. He is partially correct, by stating the Injector Harnesses are pinned differently, because they certainly are. However, at the 10-pin connector, pins A-H must correspond to cylinders 1-8, because that's how the ECU & Main Harness is wired. The only thing that changes, is the engine that the Injector Harness is attached to (and the firing order in the EFI software).
    I understand there isn't a Ford specific main harness, the Holley tech was saying the Ford specific injection harness that I listed above needs to be pinned in the order I listed above (A-H = 5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) at the 10-pin connector. When I went and looked at the Ford FI harness at the speed shop, it wasn't pinned that way, it was pinned A-H, 1-8 as posted by Holley so that's the way I just repinned mine.

I will check the wire colors at the ECU end and make sure they correspond with your diagram above.

One last thing, do you know who supplies the pins to Holley for these harnesses or where I can get some? They are pretty flimsy and it would be nice to have some in the tool box if I run into any issues down the road with re-pinning these harnesses.

Thank you, you've been a huge help.

I understand there isn't a Ford specific main harness, the Holley tech was saying the Ford specific injection harness that I listed above needs to be pinned in the order I listed above (A-H = 5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) at the 10-pin connector. When I went and looked at the Ford fuel injector harness at the speed shop, it wasn't pinned that way. It was pinned A-H, 1-8 as posted by Holley so that's the way I just repinned mine.
    Yes, I understood and agreed with your statement.
    I was just corroborating what the wiring manual states and why Holley Tech didn't make logical sense.
    Why would a Ford specific Injector Harness need to be repinned for a Ford engine? LOL!

I will check the wire colors at the ECU end and make sure they correspond with your diagram above.
    Yes, I'm sure the eight injector wires on the Main Harness will match the wiring manual (what I posted above).
    Remember, the wire colors change at the Injector Harness (10-pin connector).

One last thing, do you know who supplies the pins to Holley for these harnesses or where I can get some? They are pretty flimsy and it would be nice to have some in the tool box if I run into any issues down the road with re-pinning these harnesses.
    The female terminals for the Injector Harness (10-pin connector) are Delphi Metri-Pack 150 Series:
    http://www.pcsconnectors.com/12048074.aspx
    http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=215

Some of the sensor connectors are Delphi GT 150 Series with the different colored "key index" insert.
    http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/D...%20Catalog.pdf (Delphi Connection Systems Catalog)

Thank you, you've been a huge help.
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 07-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast