Thread: 0-80457s HELP!

desmo.lover Guest

Default 0-80457s HELP!

Howdy!
    I have racked my brain for days with this issue. I even called holley tech support and unfortunately i got bogus info, so i'm turning to this for help. I'll make this short and descriptive and PRAY i get a response.

I have the 4bbl 600cfm 0-80457s on an edelbrock performer 390 intake, all plopped on my ford fe 360 engine.
    issues which lead up to supposed problem are as follows.

Like an idiot, i set time with a cold engine with vacuum advance hose plugged IN therefore time kept creeping up. (dont laugh) As a result, i suffered some MONUMENTAL backfires. I have sense set time CORRECTLY.

Engine issues....

on a COLD motor the vehicle will fire STRAIGHT AWAY, and warm up nicely. But when the motor is warm, what i notice is gas leaking from the secondary diaphragm housing, and strangely enough, with engine running AND off, gas is dripping from said housing AND you can see it dripping from the "squirters" in the secondary barrels and its pooling on the butterflies.
    Although the floats are non-adjustable i still took them apart to see if they were stuck, and they were not.

Have i blown the power valve? What the hell is wrong with this carburetor?!

I.....NEED....HELP!!

Thanks..

Charles..

if someone decides to be generous and open a dialogue with me, please email desmo.lover@yahoo.com thanks a million!

Two things come to mind:
    1) Seems like the 'needle & seat' assembly might have debris jamming it partially open.
    2) If your fuel pressure is higher than 7 psi, it might be over powering the 'needle & seat', requiring a fuel pressure regulator.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

desmo.lover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Two things come to mind:
    1) Seems like the 'needle & seat' assembly might have debris jamming it partially open.
    2) If your fuel pressure is higher than 7 psi, it might be over powering the 'needle & seat', requiring a fuel pressure regulator.

i can't imagine a 30+ year old Ford FE 360 pumping out that kind of fuel pressure. But it IS an option and one to explore. I took out both float bowl covers on the carb, and actuated it with my fingers, and it moved freely and there didn't seem to be any debris, in fact it was spotless in there.

Trai Guest

Had something similar happen on my 670cfm truck avenger carb, turned out the needle and seat had gotten a little gummed up and stuck open creating said fuel leakage from everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by desmo.lover View Post
    I can't imagine a 30+ year old Ford FE 360 pumping out that kind of fuel pressure.
    I don't understand your point. Mechanical fuel pumps of that era, typically output 9+ psi of fuel pressure.
    Holley suggest a fuel pressure regulator to maintain pressure at 5-7 psi. It's in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by desmo.lover View Post
    I took out both float bowl covers on the carb, and actuated it with my fingers, and it moved freely and there didn't seem to be any debris, in fact it was spotless in there.
    You can't always see (or feel) a contaminated 'needle & seat', at first glance.
    You may need to 'bench test' it with air pressure (blowgun), regulated down to 7 psi.
    (It can also be pressure tested with a Mityvac vacuum/pressure pump at the fuel inlet fitting.)
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 04-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

desmo.lover Guest

So I disassembled carb. Sprayed needles and seats with carb cleaner, reassembled and reinstalled. The damn thing still leaks and drips from the boosters and pools on the butterflies. Vapor fills the primary bowls, and there us gas dripping from somewhere near the secondary diaphragm housing. The only other thing is to regulate fuel pressure. But here us the thing. I took off a 2bbl HOLLEY 500cfm THAT DIDNT LEAK. Holley please help!!!!

desmo.lover Guest

Put fuel regulator on. 5psi. Still leaks. I'm at a loss. This carb has less than five miles on it. Holley, plz help. I think I'll take it off and call holley tomorrow to advise of a return. This sucks.

desmo.lover Guest

To hell with bench testing with fancy schmancy blow guns and sh*t. I took the carb off one more time but left the fuel rail intact...turned it over, blew through the fuel inlet and could hear air whistling through the secondary fuel bowl needle seat. So i just started taking sh*t apart and found a beloved dog hair stuck down in the valve seat.

Now i gotta clean out the spark plugs cause this things been running rich for days..