Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Digital Oil Pressure

I have the Dakota Digital HDX gauges connected to my Dominator ECU using the BIM-01-2-HLLY. I’m getting water temp & tach on the gauges, but I’m not getting oil pressure. The Bluetooth app says I’m also getting AFR & Boost (which I believe is just MAP, since I’m not running a turbo or supercharger). Is there a setting somewhere that controls which sensors are output on the CAN Bus? Has anyone else run into this? I’m a complete noob to this, so any help is much appreciated.

My first email to DD was on Sept 17th. It usually takes about a week to get any sort of update from DD Tech Support.

UPDATE #1: Dakota Digital Tech support is asking that I swap pins A20 to A31 to make sure the BIM isn't pickup up the fuel pressure as the oil pressure input. I don't think this is likely as the Bluetooth app doesn't report the fuel pressure changing like you would expect the oil pressure to change. Unfortunately, I don't have many options other than to go through the steps until we find a resolution.

UPDATE #2: After a few days there’s been no real progress. Once I finally got in touch with them again to let them know what swapping the inputs did, they still don’t seem to know what’s going on. I’m not convinced they had any idea what they wanted to learn from swapping the inputs. Hopefully they’ll figure something out soon.

UPDTAE #3: Still no resolution, but the issue was passed to an "engineer" last week. They have asked if I could run a separate oil pressure sender, which pretty well defeats the purpose of the BIM.

UPDATE #4: Talked to the tech today, and they say they've made a few tweaks to the software and are sending out another module. They're not sure if this will fix it or not, but at least we're getting some movement! Hopefully we'll have this ironed out in a few more days.

UPDATE #5: I received the updated BIM yesterday and connected it to my gauges. Unfortunately, still no oil pressure showing on my gauges. The tech said he would have to talk to the "engineer" again, and that we may have taken this as far as we can and will need to use a separate sender. I'm frustrated enough now that if that ends up being the case I may pull the gauges out completely and go with Autometer or something else.

UPDATE #6: Still no luck, and Dakota Digital doesn't seem to be making any progress on the situation.

UPDATE #7 - 11/8 : The most recent request from the DD engineer was for me to verify continuity of the cable between the BIM and the Holley wiring harness. I feel like they are wasting my time at this point because, 1) Early on I tried three different cables to make sure that wasn't the problem, and 2) the cable has only two conductors, which means all the data for all the gauges is sent over those two conductors, and ONLY the oil pressure is not working.
    Last edited by AU Doc; 11-08-2018 at 10:28 AM.

AU Doc, I had similar issues with my VHX using the BIM. I ran into a guy on the Facebook Holley EFI page. He has your exact setup and had to troubleshoot his as well, and I know he has it working now. You may want to copy & paste your post there as well. I'll reach out to him and see if he can check this post here. His name is Stan.

Attachment 3695
    EDIT: I don’t suppose you remember which FB page he's on, do you?
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Now I've got to figure out how to search through their FB page.
    Last edited by AU Doc; 09-29-2018 at 09:12 PM.

I have the VHX series and sometimes when I start the truck the LCD display flashes 0 oil pressure and the gauge reads zero. Usually resets by turning off the key & restarting. I've been too busy working through other issues on the truck to look into this.

I wish that worked here. The car has been turned off & on dozens of times, and the gauge just refuses to work. Still waiting on Dakota Digital to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by mycalew View Post
    AU Doc, I had similar issues with my VHX using the BIM. I ran into a guy on the Facebook Holley EFI page. He has your exact setup and had to troubleshoot his as well, and I know he has it working now. You may want to copy & paste your post there as well. I'll reach out to him and see if he can check this post here. His name is Stan.
    I don't suppose you found Stan, did you? Dakota Digital still hasn't been able to help out with this.

Can I output the oil pressure sensor input on one of the available output channels on the Dominator? That is, can one of the outputs be configured to mirror the 0-5V input from the oil pressure sensor?

Any idea on the above question? Can I pass through a sensor value to one of the Dominator outputs, so that I can drive my gauge without using the CAN Bus?

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
    Any idea on the above question? Can I pass through a sensor value to one of the Dominator outputs, so that I can drive my gauge without using the CAN Bus?
    Unfortunately, this is not possible. But what you can do is split out the oil pressure signal wire, and have one going to the Dominator, and the other one go directly to your oil pressure gauge. The signal wire is a 5V reference. Andrew

Thanks for the info! That's a good idea. I'd be willing to bet it would work, however, the Dakota Digital instructions claim that using any sender other than theirs will damage the gauge controller. I'm still using the stock GM sender, so I'm not sure I want to risk it...yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast