Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead injector on Sniper.

I agree, Sniper owners shouldn't have to go through this. However, knowing what's wrong is half the battle. If you're mechanically inclined, I'd fix it myself. I'm sure I could find a way to maintain connectivity on those fuel injectors.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm TB, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
    Looking at some posts here and on the Sniper Facebook page, it seemed possible that just maybe, the injector had become unplugged. That WAS the case. The Sniper does not use a typical EV1 type connector on the injectors, probably due to space restrictions, the connector (plug) is rubber, and only latches to the injector on one side. The flex in the rubber allows the other side to lift up off of its pin. In my opinion, this should be a recall. There are a lot of folks having this problem, and Holley's solution of returning the TBI for repair is not acceptable to the daily drivers, some of whom this has happened to more than once. Also, having an injector or two die at a bad time, could put you in a precarious situation, I shudder to think. Holley please take note. This is a serious, potentially deadly problem.
    This is exactly what happened to mine. It looks like the rubber/plastic wire connector on the injector became deformed over time and disconnected itself. I found this out as my last shot at troubleshooting by changing connections to injectors, to confirm it was the injector and not the injector-driver/ECU.

I swapped connections and all injectors fired, swapped them back to normal and they all fired. Confirming that it was the connection. I did my best to clean the electrical connections, route the wires to not stress the connection, and used tiny zip ties to secure the connector to the injector. So far so good.

So it looks like it wasn't the injector after all, but I did learn that Holley isn't supplying all replacement parts for these units, which was a valuable lesson. I'm still "chaffed" the support tech told me that the cost of the Sniper "is peanuts" ($1300 is not peanuts to me) when I balked at sending the unit in for a part. To me that implies Holley thinks "we get what we deserve" when it comes to the cost of repairs. I would've paid twice the cost for a reliable system that had all parts and future support available.

Not to hammer Holley about their Sniper. I love the system, it looks great, runs great, has awesome features. The tech support here is awesome. But I've had to do entirely too much troubleshooting. (Injector/connector issue. IAC & TPS have gone bad. WBO2 sensor and temp sensors have worn out. And the throttle blades were sticking, so I needed to pull it and adjust the blades. Throttle blades whistling too. I think that's all...oops, fuel pressure regulator was bad also).

Means a lot that Danny admitted there might be an issue. First time I've heard Holley admit to anything other than the fuel pressure regulator issue. Well at least we're all here to help each other out and solve these problems. BIG shout-out to Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com He is always willing to help out and is a great source for replacement parts too. Thanks Chris.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connectors.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	3757

Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly Brian. I wonder if the Terminator had any of these growing pains. Let's just hope Holley does good by the early adopters, and provides us a couple extra years on the warranty.

Parts availability would be a good start too.

Quote Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
    I wonder if the Terminator had any of these growing pains.
    No, the Terminator is basically an HP EFI system. The HP & Dominator EFI systems are rock solid. Of course, they're also more expensive.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm TB, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Wow Brian, sounds like you have been through the wringer with your Sniper (the name is starting to make sense now). As a mechanic, I've certainly noticed the onslaught of bad parts straight out of the box. A recent episode with NAPA took three tries to get a working ignition module. The same with Advance/CarQuest on a voltage regulator. China may be winning this war by driving us all crazy. This connector issue seems just stupid to me though. This is straight up bad engineering. I am designing & 3D printing a retainer for this issue ASAP. Let you all know when the R&D is done, and I will release the file here, so anyone can make one. For now the zip tie will have to work, That or a dab of hot glue. I still maintain that this should be a recall. Potentially dangerous lack of intelligent engineering, and negligence if you know it, and do nothing about it. Hello Holley...got anything to say? Basically, the Sniper is a joke on us. They left out so much information that you need to know from the user manual, that without this forum and folks like Danny, 81 Trans Am & others (THANK YOU!), this would not have been workable for me. And I have been a mechanic for decades. I pity the layman installing a Sniper. Tech support is a joke also, I now know more about a Sniper than most of those jokers. Not once has a Holley tech been able to solve my problem, aside from sending it back for injector "replacement". Twice. Must say it works well when it does, but I'm wondering how much engine damage occurred when an injector came unplugged on my last 200 mile trip. All but two spark plugs were white like new when I finally got her home, missing like crazy. Running that lean scares me. While I am on a rant, what up with $50 for a cord that is defiantly needed for tuning. This should be included, along with the progressive throttle link. I spent hours setting my MIOT without one. Seems the default on many of the settings could be better also. Like Crank To Run set at 400 RPM. The jokes on you if you do not have a PC. But the Sniper is advertised as not needing one (so they could leave the dongle out). Like Brian said, $1300 is not chump change, in my world, now I need to spend another $50 plus shipping and wait for days to get it to run right. I call FOUL...on all of it.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 10-16-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    If it's broke, I can fix it. If it ain't broke, I can break it.

I had an injector die/stop working this week on an install we did about 6 months ago. Front passenger injector. The Learn Table was jacked to say the least.

I also had the front passenger side injector stop working, but for me it was intermittent and took a long time to pinpoint the actual problem. In my case, it was 100% Holley's fault, the connector on the injector was incorrectly mounted. The metal connectors weren't on the pins of the injectors and only lied next to them. Very poor design of the connectors which caused an undriveable car all summer and a lot of money. Now it runs great anyway.

I also had the same problem. Took months to isolate this as the issue. For the first 6 months the Sniper ran great and then suddenly it would run like it was misfiring, run perfectly, run like it was misfiring almost like flicking a switch on & off. Tried changing plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor cap, relocating wiring, running in open loop only to discover a manufacturing defect was the fault. In hindsight, I should've checked this in the beginning. Poor design that needs rectifying.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSanDiego View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connectors.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	3757
    Can't you retension the females? I fix this sort of issue nearly everyday, for a living. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast