Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn Table isn't populating after Transfer Learning To Base.

Default Learn Table isn't populating after Transfer Learning To Base.

I did a Transfer Learning To Base recently so I could watch the results of my ignition upgrade. Now the Learn Table is all zeros even after the car has been driven several times. Closed Loop & Learn are enabled. The datalog shows that multiple times during a drive that Closed Loop & Learn are on and that Learn is occurring. I can look at the datalog and see the Learn percentage that's being applied, but the Learn Table just shows zeros.

Is there some checkbox that I clicked in error or some setting that I need to change? I've Transferred Learning To Base before and never had an issue with the Learn Table. I would understand if Learn wasn't enabled, but I can watch the Learn light come on in the Digital Dash and I can see the Learn percentage on the screen. But the percentage doesn't show up on the table for some reason. Is there some way for the table to get disconnected?

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    EFI Software Problems:
    Often times, when EFI software related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted software download/installation.
    I suggest completely removing the Holley EFI software from the "Control Panel", "My Documents" (Holley folder) and the
    "C:Drive" (Program Files, Holley folder) and install a fresh EFI software download. Save your Global File somewhere.
    ECU Firmware Problems:
    Conversely, often times, when actual ECU related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted ECU firmware installation.
    As a last resort, you can try reflashing the ECU firmware version (LINK). The ECU firmware is in with the software download (LINK).
    Also, try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Good advice, I'll try reflashing the ECU. I don't think it's a computer issue since I can pop the SD card into a different computer and the Learn Table is zero.

Does the Learn Table have a problem if you exceed the Learn Limits? I had the limits set at 25%, since Learning had slowed down, but now that I've changed the ignition system the Learning is -40% in some areas of the table. With the addition of vacuum advance the engine just needs a ton less fuel at freeway cruise. Guess my fuel economy is going to go way up! Just wondering if the table gets confused if the Learn Limit is exceeded? Seems like that would be a dumb coding error, but possible I guess. I'll change my limits back to 50% to see if it solves the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Just wondering if the table gets confused if the Learn Limit is exceeded?
    No, it just stops Learning if the Limits are reached.

Good advice, I'll try reflashing the ECU.
    First try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, but that didn't change anything. I reloaded the SW on the SD card and that didn't change anything. I built a new tune from scratch using the Wizard and the new tune also has a zero Learn Table after running. Learn is enabled with the new Config File, and Learn is working according to the datalog and the Digital Dash. But the Learn Table doesn't populate.

So if a new Config File built by the Wizard using freshly loaded SW doesn't work, then I think there is something kaput with the ECU. It started once I switched over to the HyperSpark. Not sure why hooking the HyperSpark ignition up to the Sniper would break the Learn Table, but evidently it did. I'll get in touch with Holley tech and see what they say.

I worked with Holley Tech today and we made some progress on this issue. Still not 100% sure what the problem is, but we have some clues. First thing was to connect a laptop directly to the Sniper unit and look at the Learn Table. When I do that, the Learn Table is populated with history and when the engine is running, the Learn Table is active. I can download the Global File from the ECU and it has a populated Learn Table. However, when I try to download the same Global File using the handheld the Learn Table is all zeros.

So the ECU is working okay. It is Learning and populating the Learn Table, and I can view it if I'm hooked up directly. But there is something about the handheld that doesn't allow me to download a populated Learn Table. My handheld is connected to the Digital Dash, which is connected to the Sniper, so perhaps there is an issue when the devices are daisy chained together. I'll keep poking at it and perhaps I'll figure out what the root cause is.

Remove the Digital Dash and run the handheld only to see if it affects it.

I've tried hooking the handheld directly to the Sniper with the same results. The handheld only downloads a blank Learn Table for some reason. If I connect the laptop to the ECU, then the Config File contains a fully populated Learn Table.

I don't understand how the handheld could "block" the Learn Table and allow the rest of the Config File to be downloaded. That doesn't make any sense to me, but it appears to be what is happening.

It turns out I made the problem worse before I figured it out, since I was changing the tune on my laptop and then uploading the Global File back to the ECU. The problem with doing that is, that I was wiping out the Learn Table every time I uploaded a new Config File. So now I'm kind of screwed in terms of tuning. Since the Learn Table in the downloaded file is zeros, I can't upload a tune from the SD card.

Does the Sniper handheld have firmware you can reflash to it? Not the ECU, but the handheld itself. With my Dominator, it and the handheld need to be the same version and each has its own firmware.
    Last edited by 81 TransAm; 08-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.

I've spent more time on this issue and I've slowly figured out that it isn't a Learning issue at all. What's going on is that the Sniper will not download a GCF to the handheld. I finally figured it out by using a blank SD card and doing a GCF download. What I got was garbage. It says it is downloading, but all I get is a file with the same name as the tune, but it isn't a Sniper file. I was fooled all along, since I thought I was downloading a new GCF with an empty Learn Table, but really the Sniper wasn't downloading anything at all. Once I erased my old tune file on the SD card it became clear what was happening.

I can download the current tune file from the Sniper by syncing up with the laptop. So evidently the laptop connection is more robust than the handheld connection. The unit isn't very useful to me if I can't tune it from the handheld, so I'll talk to Holley tech about sending it in for a checkup. Perhaps they can do some sort of industrial size reflash and get it working again. I did a reflash using the SW from the website and that didn't help, so it's going to take more than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast