Thread: Can't sync Sniper & Dual Sync.

Post Can't sync Sniper & Dual Sync.

Hi. I have a Mustang with stroked SBF, alloy heads, lumpy cam etc. I've previously run the Sniper in fuel only mode and it ran great. Recently, I added the Holley dual sync distributor & coil driver. After install of the dual sync & driver, the EFI fired right up, ran well through warmup cycle. I confirmed timing matched the Sniper handheld at idle. Ran it up the street, but it detonated heavily! I checked it with the timing light and at idle the timing is synchronized with the Sniper. I set the static timing and the timing changes and matches correctly. However, if I rev the engine, the timing will always advance, even with the static timing set. I've followed the sync instructions to the letter. I've disabled Idle Spark, set the static, checked it with the timing light, but when I rev it, the timing always advances to around the 50° BTDC mark. As it is advancing, I tried lowering the Inductive Delay until I was eventually at zero, but it had no effect. I've checked to see if there are any settings that would cause this such as coolant or air temps, but there's none that I can see. My settings are straight from the Wizard, so nothing fancy is setup.

Attached are some Config Files that I've tried, both have the same results. There's also a datalog. I would really appreciate some help if possible? Thanks. Greg

So, work backwards. Set your total timing in your table to 36° (or what your engine likes) then rev the engine until the ECU is commanding your total timing. Then rotate the distributor until your commanded matches your actual at the crank, while using your timing light. Then let it idle to see where your idle timing is at.

Hi there, I'm a little confused. By doing this, wouldn't it throw my idle timing way out? I would be fixing the higher RPM, but sacrificing the lower. Isn't this why the 2nd part of the sync process is done in software? I will try anyway, but if I could find the reason why my timing advances when set to static, I would be able to sync properly.

Just a test to see if the distributor position has any affect on things.

OK, did some more testing and no matter what, the timing always seems to advance around 20°, even when static is set.

I then did as you advised, I turned the distributor while revving until the timing light matched the handheld at 36°. But when idling the timing (on the crank) read approx 0°, but it did idle, don't know how it will start when cold though. I suppose I could trick it by increasing the base idle timing setting, but I feel as though I'm doing the wrong thing here, I would have to set the base idle timing much higher to achieve the normal 12-15°. The last thing I want to do is break the engine.

This unit has already been replaced once by Holley due to a faulty WBO2 sensor driver, I have spent so much time on this. Would really appreciate any thoughts as to why the timing constantly advances. I'm out of ideas and considering going back to a fuel only system. Thanks, Greg
    Last edited by GregMason; 08-08-2018 at 06:08 AM.

This is strange. Have you tried a fresh download of the Sniper EFI software?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    EFI Software Problems:
    Often times, when EFI software related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted software download/installation.
    I suggest completely removing the Holley EFI software from the "Control Panel", "My Documents" (Holley folder) and the
    "C:Drive" (Program Files, Holley folder) and install a fresh EFI software download. Save your Global File somewhere.
    ECU Firmware Problems:
    Conversely, often times, when actual ECU related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted ECU firmware installation.
    As a last resort, you can try reflashing the ECU firmware version (LINK). The ECU firmware is in with the software download (LINK).
    Also, try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I haven't reinstalled the laptop EFI software, but to tell the truth, I've been using the handheld more for these basic tests. But yes, I upgraded the ECU firmware to the latest just yesterday, and even reran the Wizard. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd say that the Dual Sync distributor had some kind of mechanical advance.

Any ideas? Could interference cause this? My coil driver is mounted approximately one meter away from the coil? Could the coil driver be at fault? I see there is a new HyperSpark CDI out now, I would be interested in this upgrade if I know it would fix my problem, but getting one to Australia will take weeks and they're not cheap. It would kill me if I went to the trouble just to find I have the same issue. Again, if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Installation/Setup Error: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...019#post108019 (Similar Forum Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires