Thread: Gen 2 vs Gen 1 Dual Sync Distributor?

1. Default Gen 2 vs Gen 1 Dual Sync Distributor?

Hi there. Anyone know the underlying reason(s) for the release of a "New Improved" Gen 2 version of this Dist for Holley EFI? Are there some known issues that those of us with Gen 1s are having to live with?

I purchased the 565-100 when it first came out, (not cheap at $430) and have had some doubts about how well it performs since moving from conventional single coil and MSD to CnP LSx coils ignition.
    https://www.holley.com/products/disc.../parts/565-100

Now I see this new Gen 2 version (at a lower cost of $350), and can't help wonder if my Gen 1 is going to give me problems down the road, given the Gen 2 features description as follows:

"Introducing the next generation of Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributors, the new design features an improved shutter wheel, high-quality dual Hall-Effect sensors, and an MSD cap and rotor!"

"While these distributors are designed to be used primarily in sequentially injected installations, you can easily use them as a crank trigger for TBI system also. The precision machined shutter wheel design ensures accurate timing, even at very high engine speeds. The Gen 2 Dual Sync also included a QPQ coated shutter wheel for superior corrosion resistance, and the wheel has been pinned and welded to the shaft for increased reliability. These distributors can also be used with other EFI systems that support Hall Effect crank and cam sensor inputs. Do you need to a bronze gear for your billet cam? No problem, these distributors maintain MSD shaft diameters, making it easy to source a bronze gear!"
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/565-200

Might Holley be offering upgrades from Gen1 to Gen 2 (trade up/in) to get the benefits of a more corrosion resistant and reliable unit? Thanks!

HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

I can't answer your questions, but I believe all the 565-200 distributors (2nd gen) and the 565-111 are made by MSD.

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I might contact Holley and see what they'll do for me to trade in/trade up to the newer unit. Mine already got some signs of corrosion surface rust on the shutter wheel, so we'll see.

I find they're pretty good with things like that. It doesn't hurt to try.

I've got a bunch of up close & personal photos of both units, since my brand new 100 series was bad out the box. I got the 2nd generation and it's a far better made piece, IMHO. The first version has a portion of the body that's open to dust & debris. I made no sense to have a gap like that. Maybe it was missing a piece that was supposed to be there. Anyway, I'm glad I was able to swap to the new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Hi Danny, l have the superseded version of the Holley dual sync distributor, was there a reliability issue with these units? Should l update to the 2nd generation version? Thanks.

Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK), but I think it was just an internal rust issue.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.