Thread: Crank/cam sensor harness question.

Default Crank/cam sensor harness question.

I'm having trouble with setting up ignition. I have a Dart LS with an LS2 cover & 1x cam sensor (black). 58x reluctor with 58x harness. Checked my cam sensor harness connector and I'm getting 5V on one pin and 12V on other (pin) & ground in the middle. So it's A pin 5V, B pin ground, and C pin 12V. Car starts, but it's missing out and getting fuel smell. Should I be seeing 12V & 5V at plug? Timing set is Cloyes PN# 9-3658TX3.
    Last edited by duvall408w; 07-28-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added info

The 12V on the signal wire (key-on/engine-off) is the ECU pull-up resistor, and it's normal.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

So I can just remove the 5V in A slot and run the P1B B20 wire to A slot for 12V cam reference? So I'll have A 12V, B Ground, C 12V? Thanks again.

I can't explain it any better than this: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #6)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual, Sections 2.1 "Pin-Outs" & 13.0 "Wiring Appendix")
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Just two more questions, easy ones at that. When cranking and on the gauge screen, my RPM says sync and then reads RPM. Does sync mean that it received the correct cam signal and is seeing crank signal? Also on my System Log, I can see the cam signal, but my crank signal is a solid green block. If I scale it to say 50 it covers half of the datalog screen? If it shows RPM, is the crank sensor working? RPM is 130.

Quote Originally Posted by duvall408w View Post
    When cranking and on the gauge screen, my RPM says sync and then reads RPM. Does sync mean that it received the correct cam signal and is seeing crank signal?
    Yes.

Also on my System Log, I can see the cam signal, but my crank signal is a solid green block. If I scale it to say 50 it covers half of the datalog screen?
    Record a System Log to verify crank & cam sensor signals. Check mark the "RPM", "Crank" & "Cam" channels. Look for a uniform,
    uninterrupted crank or cam sensor signal pattern. The crank or cam sensor signal should never flatline (no pulse) or indicate an
    RPM "Error" anywhere. Also, fully charge the battery and ensure the engine is cranking fast enough, at least 100+ RPM. Another
    common issue, is trying to analyze a compressed view of a long System Log. Zoom In for detail - click & hold at one point of the
    datalog, and drag & release to another point nearby. It's best to record short System Logs/Datalogs that capture the problem.

If it shows RPM, is the crank sensor working?
    Yes, RPM is derived from the crank sensor.

Changed plugs, cleaned grounds, charged battery, and lowered my Cranking Fuel and she fired off hitting on all cylinders. Now to get the idle squared away. On the cam & crank setup, I have a 58x reluctor, 1x cam gear, white cam sensor and 12V running to A plugged straight into sensor with Custom Ignition Parameters setup per Holley instructions. Every time I switched A & C, I lost signal. I think the A & C swap is for when you use the cam extension wires. Just to clarify things, it started on both dark & white cam sensor. Thanks for the help.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...5115#post65115 (58x Crank & 1x Cam - Custom Ignition Parameters)

Sounds like you just had too much Cranking Fuel. I like starting too low and going up.