Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holley Sniper cutting out, losing power.

Was this issue ever resolved? If so, what was the final fix? I'm having a similar issue.

My issue is resolved. I was convinced that it was losing power causing it to reset. It turns out the coil was indeed bad, even though new. Apparently the Sniper wasn't completely shutting down, only resetting. I have been driving it for two weeks in traffic, on the highway, hot & cold weather with zero issues. I wish I would have tried the coil sooner, but it didn't make sense that it could be the problem. I'm posting this here because I hate when someone reports a problem then falls off the face of the earth. Hopefully this helps someone else down the road, both literally & figuratively.

I had something very similar on the Sniper install I did this week. It would just shut off and loose communication with the ECU. It would seem to do it more when it was cold. Problem was the ignition coil was too close to the WBO2 harness. I moved the coil and have had zero problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbyte View Post
    My issue is resolved. I was convinced that it was losing power causing it to reset. It turns out the coil was indeed bad, even though new. Apparently the Sniper wasn't completely shutting down, only resetting. I have been driving it for two weeks in traffic, on the highway, hot & cold weather with zero issues. I wish I would have tried the coil sooner, but it didn't make sense that it could be the problem. I'm posting this here because I hate when someone reports a problem then falls off the face of the earth. Hopefully this helps someone else down the road, both literally & figuratively.
    Thanks to you, my headache has been relieved! I went through this same problem and tore my entire installation apart looking for the problem! Finally decided to Google "Sniper cutting out" and it brought me to this post. I took the brand new Sniper HyperSpark coil off and put my old coil back on and POOF problem was gone. Thank God.
    Intermittent cutting out at very random conditions, impossible to reproduce or troubleshoot. I'm awaiting a replacement coil now. (The tech guy told me he's never heard of a new coil being defective.) Thanks again. Who woulda thought!

Replacement coil produced the same issue. Actual cause of random backfire was RFI interference from the coil being mounted too close to the distributor. Moved coil from on top of intake manifold to the fenderwell and problem is forever gone. Over 2000 miles no with no backfires.

Thanks for the update. EMI is almost always the cause of issues like this one. I had it on my initial startup as well.
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12