Thread: Sniper EFI goes lean and won't start.

Hello everyone! I have a strange problem. My Sniper runs GREAT when it runs. Every now & then, it would report that it's all the way lean and then dies. It will not start for some time afterward, then run great again. This time, I think it broke for good. It's reporting lean and will not start. I checked fuel pressure and that's good. I loaded a known good Config File and disabled the closed loop in order to bypass the WBO2 sensor so to speak. That didn't work either.
    I would also like to mention that when I received my Sniper from JEGS, it was covered in metal shavings. I cleaned it off before installation. It only has about 1500 miles on it, so it practically brand new.
    Is there an internal filter I should be checking? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

*** I just went out and tried it and it started right up.
    *** I guess I'm going to have to put the Edelbrock back on, I just can't have a random problem that could leave me stranded.
    I filled out the Holley support email form but haven't heard anything back yet. John

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem when it gets hot. Cavitation in the pump. Internal or external pump?

That makes sense. Right now the fuel pump is external and under the hood. I've been meaning to relocate the pump to the back, but haven't had the time.
    The last time it happened, the car had been sitting for a while and just wouldn't start. I'm in Texas and it's darn hot out here.

The Sniper EFI supplies power to the fuel pump. Does it also control the pump or slow it down when under less demand? Just wondering if I need a different fuel pump or need to add some type of controller. Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Right now the fuel pump is external and under the hood. I've been meaning to relocate the pump to the back, but haven't had the time.
    There's your problem.

The Sniper EFI supplies power to the fuel pump. Does it also control the pump or slow it down when under less demand?
    No variable speed. The Sniper ECU just turns the pump on (when it detects RPM) & off (loss of RPM or at key off).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Electric fuel pumps are great at pushing fuel, but not so good at pulling fuel.

The fuel pump under the hood was a "just get it running" thing. I always had intentions of relocating it closer to the fuel tank. Do you think I need some kind of variable fuel pump/controller for normal street driving? Thanks, I appreciate all the input! John

You need to move the pump. Some have had good luck with the external pumps, but I'm not one of them. I went through three different external pumps before I finally went with an internal pump. Without a reliable fuel delivery system, it's not going to work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Do you think I need some kind of variable fuel pump/controller for normal street driving?
    No, that's not necessary.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.